1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumped because of gender and race

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by top of the world ma!, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are a freelancer, I would suspect you have little if any rights. They can use you or not at their pleasure.

I supposed you could sue just claiming ageism, sexism, whiteism as anyone could, but not sure how far that would get you.

2. boots

boots New Member

White men have become targets in journalism.
    Good luck top.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Perhaps that's just a bit of an over-generalization.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't worry. He can argue the other side, too.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All employees have become targets in journalism.

And yes, I'd threaten legal action, if for nothing else but to make them squirm.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True, but if he's told that he's being denied the opportunity to work because of his gender and color, seems to me that might be a teensy bit, you know, illegal.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

this goes along with something my wife and I noticed tonight during the evening "un"news with katie couric... there's all sorts of flooding in the midwest right now, towns underwater and such. Now, I know it's not the same as Katrina, but I don't hear a lot of outcry about help and where's the government and such. Most of the people interviewed/seen in the story? White, middle class. Does that have anything to do with it? Makes a person wonder. Or course, this was the same newscast where Katie breathlessly says, "He's demanding a timetable for withdrawal" when there was no such statement and she was later corrected by schaffer later in the newscast.

I mean, if we want to be treated equal, doesn't that mean race CAN'T be a consideration? I've always had a problem with this. I understand the opportunities needed to be given and such, but that isn't right, nor is it equal.

We're all not the same. And it's just just because of gender or race or age. We come from different cultures and backgrounds and I think that should be embraced. Not our physical appearance.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

When Cleveland's under 15 feet of water, send up a flare.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's kind of my point.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I don't think it's a problem. It would be different if they made a decision based upon gender with the purpose being to keep the entire paper white and male. But that isn't the case. The publication likely uses lots of white males and wants to make a change in the balance to add diversity. But I'm talking about ethically and not legally. As we know, the two rarely meet.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but he'd have to prove it. Sort of like you'd have to prove the bank wouldn't give you a mortgage loan just because you're a minority.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And as bad as things are in Ohio, Findlay isn't Cleveland. Nor is Tiffin. And to assert that the coverage of Katrina/New Orleans was in some way - any way - race-based is crazy.

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=cle

Draft saved Draft deleted