1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumbest Moments in Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"They're both ready. But Erskine is dropping his curveball in the dirt," -- Clyde Sukeforth.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

While this lasted more than just a moment: the NHL lockout of 1994 -- with a chance to actually make some headway in the American market with baseball striking, they forever doomed themselves to mediocrity and TV ratings below bowling and poker. Thanks Bettman. How did that lockout work out for you anyways? Absolutely brutal.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Also from the hockey world there is the Marty McSorely hatchet job on Donald Brashear and Todd Bertuzzi jumping Steve Moore. Two incidents that ruined three careers and left huge black marks on the game. The only career not ruined was Brashear's.

You could also add the Steve Smith own goal in the playoffs that gave the Flames the lead in game 7 of the Smythe Division Final. Some 23rd birthday for Smith. Could have been five straight Stanley Cups and six in seven years had it not been for that one errant pass. Instead the Flames went on to lose to the an upstart Montreal Canadiens team in the Cup final.

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/clips/15103/

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I get Example 1, Beef -- especially with McSorley, who was smarter than his on-ice persona. But I'm not with you on No. 2.

Smith's own goal goes in the "shit happens" file. Wayne Gretzky himself put it there the following year when the Oilers won the Cup. He took the Cup as captain and handed it to Smith

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe dumb at the time. Now I wish he could come back.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As a Saints fan, I'd put New Orleans taking Russell Erxleben with the first pick of the '79 draft up there somewhere. :-X

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Fred Brown passing the ball to James Worthy in the NCAA Championship game.

Vince Coleman getting eaten by the tarp in the 85 Series.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Leader in the clubhouse, book division

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Oakland Raiders selecting JaMarcus Russell, with the first pick in the entire NFL draft.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The Smith own goal was such a bonehead play though. One of the first things you learn as a defenceman is to never pass it up the middle or in front of your own net. Yes he felt some pressure coming, but he also had two players open on the left wing -- Don Jackson inside the hash along the boards, and some guy named Gretzky further up. He didn't even look. It was a rookie mistake and one he'll unfortunately never live down. I was about 3 1/2 at the time and well before my hockey consciousness, so it really doesn't matter to me, but it was much more than just a shit happens play. And yes it was a classy move by Gretzky to seek out Smith and hand the cup off to him the next year as if to say "forget about last year". Would not expect anything different from him.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

5th down.
    Reggie Bush lateraling it to...no one in particular in the 2006 Rose Bowl.
    Celebration penalty on AJ Green. I particularly like this one, seeing how the SEC on CBS still uses that TD as part of its lead-in highlights package.

Draft saved Draft deleted