1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumbest baseball delay ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Apr 30, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Tough to say Shea...built 7 years later .. is the reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn.
    Robert Moses was the reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Is Robert Moses the guy that built almost everything in NYC in that era?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

One of the great non-fiction books is Robert Caro's "The Power Broker," a bio of Robert Moses. It's long, but fascinating.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I seem to remember that the PBS documentary on NYC spent a lot of time on him, or am I wrong?

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Moses had actually been building in NY since the depression-era, Jones Beach for example. But after the death of Fiorello LaGuardia, Moses began a rise to power, eventually to the point where he controlled virtually ALl federal money coming into the city--highways, housing projects, sewers anything and everything.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Little known fact: The Giants were all set to move anyways, but they would have gone to Minneapolis, where they owned the minor-league team there. Once O'Malley received approval to move to LA, he convinced Stoneham that it would be better to have the two teams on the coast.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I delivered a presentation on that book in grad school. Let's just say there was some serious skimming going on. :D

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Just ask any residents of the Bronx when they put in the Cross Bx Expressway.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Let's go Mets.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I figure most Mets fans would have preferred they hadn't started that game.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The Nets are trying to move into the spot that O'Malley wanted, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted