1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dumb soccer question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2underpar, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Greg_Brownell

Greg_Brownell New Member

Moderator1 is correct. It should count as a tie, with one team advancing on penalty kicks ... at least if this happens in playoffs or a tournament. That's the NCAA standard, except when the national championship game is decided by PKs (oddly enough).
    That's what we do. I get calls from teams that win the PK wondering why we called it a tie, but I've never gotten a complain from the losing side.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Our state uses them for district games. In normal games the coaches can choose whether they want to use them or not, or even if they want to play overtime or just let it end in a tie. Some coaches like to do it once in a while to practice that situation for the playoffs.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

this was a playoff game, so somebody had to win.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

These are just for regular season tournaments. We have a couple of big ones, one 16-team, the other usually two 16-team events that run side by side before the state playoffs start.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone had to ADVANCE. No one had to win. I'm pretty sure the fine print does say PKs are used to determine the advancer, not the winner.

Draft saved Draft deleted