1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dumb soccer question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2underpar, Apr 30, 2010.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if a game is won 4-2 on penalty kicks in high school, what's the official final score?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here's what I've heard...

If the game is tied 1-1 before PKs, the winner of the PKs is awarded one goal, making the final score 2-1. But you're dealing with HS soccer, so who knows.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Regular season game they go to PKs? I've always understood the game remains a tie, but a team advances to the next round on PKs. I think, if it just a regular game that for some reason goes to PKs, Ryan is correct.

But I don't know any of it for sure.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Gracias. That's what i thought. Now, go back to your MMA

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

playoff game, ended 0-0, home team won on PKs 4-2 to advance.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"The game ended in a 0-0 tie after regulation and two overtimes. Team A advances on penalty kicks, 4-2."

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My MMA?

I used to cover Massanutten Military Academy. I enjoy watching Mixed Martial Arts. Can you be more specific? :)

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

that's pretty much how i wrote it.
    I'm sure some futbol expert will call me if it's wrong.
    thanks for the help, ya'll

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We've had this discussion before, and it was concluded that different high school associations will have their own rules on this.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's the perfect way to write it.

What I've seen is that only regular season tournament games use a shootout. In pool play you get 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for a shootout win, 1 for a shootout loss and none for a regulation loss to try and avoid teams being tied on points.

Once it gets to the knockout rounds it's used as normal to determine who advances. However, in both instances, the team that lost the shootout gets to count it as a tie in their record.

11. spud

spud Member

There are high school associations that use pool play?

12. In Texas, it's up to individual districts to determine whether to break regular-season ties. So it's a mixed bag: some use the shootout method that MLS used years ago, some use overtime, some use a combination, some call a tie a tie. Moddy's description of how to write it is spot on. It can be real hard to boil down to a scoreline, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted