1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb question: No call list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jan 31, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

yep

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've been on the no-call list and the only solicitation calls I get are from charities and companies I do business with.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've had my cell phone on a Do Not Call list for several years. Only got one telemarketing call on it and that was a month or two before I put it on the list.

4. EStreetJoe

Charaties are the big headache on the land lane. Although I'm on the do not call list, charities can still call. I've learned not to answer the phone if the caller ID is showing "Out of Area", an 800 number I don't recognize or an 888 number I don't know because 99% of the time its a charity and they won't leave a message. I have fun waiting a few hours, calling the 800 (or 888) number back. Getting a recording saying that its some telemarketing company for charities and leaving a message saying not to call me anymore and if they're going to insist on calling to at least have the courtesy to leave a message.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I just stop them before they get started and ask if they are soliciting a donation. They, of course, say yes. Then I say that I don't take solicitation calls, wish them luck and hang up. Heck, I got a call yesterday as I was trying to get my kids ready for school.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I'd never even have known there was comedic material to mine regarding your height if you hadn't mentioned that....

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At least chickie doesn't have to worry about the 8-second jokes.

Pouring you a pink frou frou now, ma'am.

8. EStreetJoe

Telemarketer strikes back with Caller ID spoofing:
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=2251016&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

9. markvid

markvid Guest

This scum bag needs to be fined to the point where he'll never be able to afford to open another business.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

1). There's always a way around everything.
    2). Telemarketers aren't just going to throw in the towel because millions of people are on the no call list. They're going to find a way around it.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's his neck size; does that count?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do you realize how big the fines are for calling somebody on a Do Not Call list? I know somebody who works in list management...the people who sell the lists to telemarketers. It's a huge fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted