1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb employment interview questions.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 27, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Someone once asked during an on-campus law school interview, "If you could be a color, what would it be?" This is a law firm asking too.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My attorney (my cousin's legal partner) did my exit interview. He got me several extra weeks of severance, got it in a lump sum and extended my health benefits for a few more months.

It's something everyone should do if they know an attorney. Papers buckle at the thought of any legal issues.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Sounds like she was hitting on you.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is. As noted in past posts (there's a tongue-twister for you), I worked for a brief time at a Gannett paper (not in Ohio) where in order to get supplies from the supply closet -- including pens, reporter's notebooks, legal pads and paper clips -- you had to fill out a form and get it approved by management. And even then they would only let you take one at a time (one box of paper clips, not one paper clip, though I wouldn't have put it past them).

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I think in the case of my former editor, it was just the publisher's way of reminding his employees who was in charge. Sounded more like a power trip thing to me when he explained it.

The most important part of the story that I left out was that the supplies were locked in the publisher's office, so you had to go to him. Tough shit, I guess, if your lead pencil broke on a weekend or if he was out of town.

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

It made the publisher paying us $280 per week look downright generous.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

My wife, who has 20 years experience and a masters' degree, was asked last week on a job interview for her high school GPA and transcript.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "Celebrating the fifth year anniversary of you asking me this question!"

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What type of HR moron would ask that question?

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

There's more than one type?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had to do that for my current job, although I had a much more thorough background check for this job than I ever had in journalism...

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

HR departments are just trying to justify their existence to the corporate types so they are spared getting the ax when layoffs happen ...

Draft saved Draft deleted