1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb employment interview questions.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know there are many but here's one that really sticks out.
    Had an interviewer once ask me my political affiliation. What's up with that?
  2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I was asked if I was on a dating site.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did you explain that you belong to the Know Nothing Party?
  4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Has anyone taken a look a pre-employment questionnaires for jobs at places like Walmart and Best Buy? An awful lot of questions dealing with theft and breaks, and asking if you agree, slightly agree, neutral, slightly disagree, and disagree on whether you'd snitch on someone who called in sick, but wasn't really sick.

I took one of those tests for a job that required a degree, so HR departments are clueless on how to recruit intelligent people as well.
  5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Member

When inquiring about a newspaper job over the phone, I was asked by the sports editor, "You don't happen to be black do you? Management said I pretty much need to hire an African-American."

I shit you not and this was late 1980s.

I said no and immediately withdrew any further consideration for said job.
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was asked if I would make a 10-year-committment to a paper that eliminated my position after five... :D
  7. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Member

Not an interview question, but my former editor said he worked for a small daily newspaper where you had to go to the publisher's office and basically beg or state your case for why you needed company supplies (pens, pencils, notebooks). He swore not everyone got them.

I'm guessing these days you have to go state your case for more megabytes.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ooh, ohh, let me guess. It was owned by Gannett, right?
  9. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Member

I don't think so. All I know was that it was in Ohio. I couldn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. But he swore it was true.
  10. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Member

Imagine the gall of these reporters, they get cash and now they want pencils with erasers, too? The nerve.

Actually, if you think about the 0.01 cent per word rate that some publications and online sites pay, he was way ahead of his time in cutting costs!
  11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

During a phone interview 10 years ago, I was asked about "non-traditional sports."

Non-traditional? I almost asked them if dwarf tossing, Russian Roulette or competitive vomiting were considered part of that. Almost. It was all downhill after that.
  12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Would have been a great talking point in an exit interview.
Draft saved Draft deleted