1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 1, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I got dinged on that last December when a woman in England bought a cut-glass Jack Daniels decanter autographed by the distiller... I thought 40 bucks would be enough to ship there...

My current wish is a decent authentic Maple Leafs jersey for under 60 bucks.. good ones with names are between 70-150...
    Of course, my last purchase was an autographed and COA pic of Mike Palmateer for 12 bucks .... so that will suffice

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Shit, you just reminded me of a favour I was supposed to do for hockeybeat. Crap! If you read this HB, don't worry! I'll get it done!!

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

How can you picture me with that if you've never seen me? ;D

No, not the pink... pink doesn't fit in a locker room.

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

This calendar year, I've taken a bath selling separate sorts of sports items (mostly postage-related). Man, between the eBay fees, fraudulent bidders and PO charges, it is not easy (to me, anyway) to make a buck.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have a funny story that happened to her on EBAY. I would also like to mention at this time that I told her not to order from there.

She wanted one of those Green Lighted PreLit Palm Trees. Some pub in Boston posted one on EBAY and she paid 40.00 for it. When it came, (I was there when it arrived) she literally jumped out of her seat and tripped because she was so excited about the big package that came at her doorstep.

Once she opened it, she started to cry. I was mortified and then I couldn't stop laughing. It wasn't even green....it was rows of white strobes lights that did not even look like a palm tree. Also, the lights did not even work. I have been laughing about this story for the last two weeks and every day that I see her, I ask her if she has bought anymore palm trees.

Today, I was mortified again. She tells me that she went to the Shopping Channel and bought one. Oh God, I can't wait to see what comes to her house. I am getting a front row seat for this.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

I managed to get all my stuff listed on one of those 10-cent days and, out of 34 transactions, I only had one issue.

I've been lucky as a seller and a buyer but I guess my time is coming.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

It it's zappos, they now have a Canadian division. While the stock doesn't seem extensive, I bet they could get a pair from the U.S. division if you asked nicely.

I've found that a lot of places that won't ship here can be worked around, if you really want the thing and have your own Fedex account #.

Even the Ebayers who say U.S. only seem amenable most of the time.

Or, have it mailed to sportschick and have her forward it onto you. :D :D :D

8. Flash

Flash Guest

SC and I are going to have to enter into some negotiations.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

As a seller I got screwed once. The seller's email address was "muppet" and then a 3 digit number. Every so often, my best friend will mention muppet and we laugh about it. As a buyer, the one time I had an issue with the seller, ebay was great about getting it resolved.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'll buy them for you once I get back from vacation! I don't know that I'd buy shoes from eBay.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

There are a bunch of stores around here -- at least a half-dozen or so -- that sell your stuff for you, like the one in "40-Year-Old Virgin."

Even though I'm sure they take a big cut, that's the only way I'd be a seller. Dump crap off at the store and wait for a check.

Draft saved Draft deleted