1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb bowl question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 6, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On the AP bowl glance it lists the payouts. That's PER TEAM, right?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, Henry, that is per team. However, they do usually have to share it with the rest of the conference except for, obviously, Notre Dame.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

So Vandy, Ole Miss and Miss. State get to share in the bowl money despite bringing nothing to the pot themselves.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Pretty much, yeah, as I understand it. I read a story about South Florida's upset over West Virginia costing the conference a ton of money from bowls because the Mountaineers would have been a lock for a second Big East BCS berth at 11-1 with a loss to Louisville.

5. HejiraHenry

This part I know more about ... a certain amount comes out for expenses, then all the rest goes into a pool that's divided (in the case of the SEC) 13 ways – one share for each school and one share for the league office.

A very tidy sum, Mr. Bigglesworth.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

In the Big East, the payouts are staggered based on the total bowl take ... first place gets x amount, second less, third less, but every team gets something. And yes, the pool would have been larger had WVU received one of the at-large berths, so South Florida's victory ended up costing South Florida, too.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

In other years, it's been other schools who brought nothing to the party.
    And in other sports, there's other SEC schools who fail to produce any NCAA money.
    It all spreads out nicely, if you look at it realistically.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

Boise State gets screwed more than anyone. A $14 million payout turns into $3.5 million after it's all said and done.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe New Mexico State can actually win a couple of games now.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Let 'em try operating without a conference family.
    They'd sink.
    Conferences are based on these share-all principals. And it's good that they are.

11. HejiraHenry

And, if I recall correctly, teams in NCAA hot water lose at least a part of their share. I think this happened to Alabama at one point, and I know it cost Miss. State some cash after Jackie fled town.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I should know whether this is accurate but I don't
    Makes sense to withhold from the lawbreakers, though.
    Wonder how the old Southwest Conference used to handle these situations.
    Nobody gets any money????

Draft saved Draft deleted