1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dukes goes crazy on the radio: My mom don't do crack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Sorry if this is D_B.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sportsscope/2007/06/dukes_goes_off_.html

You can listen to the conversation on the link. Sounds like a real nice fella ... admits to hooking up with his grandma's 17-year-old foster child, who is pregnant ... but, no, the baby's not his.

Troubled Tampa Bay Devils Rays outfielder Elijah Dukes called Tampa radio station WDAE to get a few things off his chest. What transpired was one of the more interesting 10-plus minutes of sports talk radio you will hear (audio link).

Earlier in the show, Dukes' estranged wife Ni'Shea Gilbert called in to talk about her soon-to-be ex-husband. With the Devil Rays in Arizona, someone must have have called Dukes and informed him of her appearance on the radio. Dukes called in and went to town on a variety of topics, including his ex-wife's background, his mom's alleged use of crack cocaine, the fact that he can't see his kids, his alleged relationship with a 17-year-old girl, his anger issues and his recent benching.

On his alleged anger issues: "No, I don't need no help. Everybody needs guidance. Do I need guidance. Yes, I need guidance. ... How many times have I ever shot someone? How many times have I ever stabbed someone? How many times have I ever went to jail for brutally beating somebody? Never!

On the alleged report that he impregnated a 17-year-old: "Me and her did something one time, and it was not even close to the time she conceived this baby. I know for a fact it's not mine."

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wow. Is this another Pacman?

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Not even close. He's venturing into Isiah Washington/Mike Tyson territory.

4. How is Dr. Burke anywhere near the same continent as Mike Tyson territory?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've never shot or stabbed anybody or gone to jail for beating someone...so everything else is fair game! Woohoo!

Incidentally, I see "Devils Rays" in a story about every other month.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Calm down, I was exaggerating. Though his outburst at George can't be ignored. ;)

Tyson is a case by himself.

7. How can I be any more calmer? I was in mid-yawn when I wrote that.

I just write fierce. ;D

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think he's beyond Pacman.

9. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Someone needs to help this guy...wow.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I had to stop listening about halfway through. Too depressing on so many levels.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Milton Bradley just got designated for assignment. Maybe the Rays can acquire him to mentor to Mr. Dukes?

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i heard gammons on the radio this morning talking about dukes. he thinks the devil rays will be forced to release him. no one will touch this guy and the rays just don't need the headache.

Draft saved Draft deleted