1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke vs. Kentucky, 1992 East Regional final, on ESPN Classic now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can not watch this... I will not watch Brian Davis prance into Christian's arms ever again

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

:eek:

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Always forgotten from this game was that shot Woods made to give Kentucky the lead. My God was that an ugly, tough, clutch shot.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've never forgotten it.

And yes, it was ugly, tough and clutch.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Wasn't it his final game as UK's announcer?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Mentioning Ledford gives me an excuse to post the ending to Alexander Wolff's story about the game (several months later) in Sports Illustrated, which is one of my favorite stories ever:
    ---​
    Young athletes are normally ingenuous in outlook and laconic in speech. They tend to prefer the security of cliche and to decline invitations to reflect. But singular circumstances can sometimes fit them with the perspective of those much older. Thirty years from now people will still be walking into the insurance agency Richie Farmer intends to open in Manchester, Ky., and asking him to tell them about that game the Unforgettables played against Duke back in '92. And Farmer will launch into the tale he already has down pat. "You know," he says today, and most surely will say tomorrow, "they say Cawood Ledford is the best recruiter Kentucky's ever had. Listening to Cawood call a loss, you can imagine a tear running down a little boy's cheek, and his mama going over to tell him it'll be all right, and the next day him going out and shooting baskets, because someday he's going to be a Wildcat and it's going to be different. That next time Kentucky's going to win."

Nine days after Duke's win in Philadelphia, Cawood Ledford was in Minneapolis to broadcast, as he customarily did, the Monday-night title game for NCAA Productions. Ledford was packing up his gear following Duke's victory over Michigan when a well-wisher came by to inquire how his final broadcast had gone.

Ledford barely looked up as he answered. "I did my last game a week ago."

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Excellent. I'm just lucky I moved to Kentucky three months before that game, so I got to experience Cawood at least a couple times.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

As good as Cawood was calling football and basketball, he was at his best calling a horse race.

No slight to Paul Rogers, who does a great job calling races, but I'll never hear anyone better than Mr. Ledford.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And how do they not T-up Laettner for stomping on a Kentucky player's chest? Lousy non-call there.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Now that is funny.

So ... how'd the ending turn out this time?

12. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Laettner did get a technical. He just wasn't ejected.

Draft saved Draft deleted