1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke Rape Hoax : The Washup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ZoeB, Apr 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn skippy

2. Can we please not use "lynching" in any context where nobody is actually killed, and certainly not in reference to some lacrosse players who were cleared because they were able to hire the best legal minds available in order to prove their innocence?
    I"m still unclear as to how this case relates to the difficulties in acceptance confronting the GLBT community, but, OK.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Umm the Duke players were cleared because they didn't do what an overzealous prosecutor accused them of doing.
    Nifong took advantage of a criminal case to advance his political career and got caught.
    It had nothing to do with the quality of the lawyers involved.

4. No, but I lump them in with Mr. Ellis, who didn't commit the rape, and served nearly a couple of decades because he couldn't afford the legal help at the time of his trial. (And who didn't have 60 Minutes or MSNBC or Dan Abrams "examining" his case.)
    Junk, injustice in the legal system didn't begin with Kobe and OJ getting away with it, or with the Duke students getting accused and acquitted. My god, 23-odd people have walked off of DEATH ROW in the last couple of years because they "didn't do the crime" and most of them wound up there because they didn't have the wherewithal to hire legal help to fight the combined forces of the police and prosecutors.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

They certainly didn't share the experience of the accused group of Central Park rapists in 87' who later were found innocent through DNA evidence.

The media didn't exactly temper their coverage with balanced reporting, offering to interview their parents while routinely highlighting the possibility of their innocence like the Duke lacrosse team experienced. You want to talk about railroaded?

And no one asked for an apology.

Go figure.

6. The Duke kids got off because they were able to hire lawyers to demonstrate that there was no case, and contact large media operations to demonstrate that there was no case. I guarantee you, the same set of circumstances among poor people in, say, rural Illinois, and somebody's going to jail anyway.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Fenian...they were able to contact large media outlets because those same media outlets covered the case for weeks when they were initially arrested, it was a national story, why? The initial coverage was far from impartial...the players certainly didn't benefit from the large media outlets then did they?

Maybe you're right if the same situation arose in rural Illinois the outcome may have been different......but I guess that depends on whether there is any media coverage on the case.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

That's not true.

Questionable evidence against the accuser was rightfully given front and center coverage. More than I could say for others put in their position.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I disagree. the initial coverage was far from balanced....shit, some stories referred to her as a "dancer", not even an "exotic dancer".....and never "stripper", there was a fair amount of debate on this board on that subject.

But I do agree that in the long run the coverage in the Duke case became more balanced, and it should have since their accuser fabricated the story. In the end, they probably benefited from the entire media circus.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Still waiting for those frauds Mr. "Keep hope alive, and keep funding my love shack for my love child" Jackson and Al "I can call you a cracker because you oppressed me" Sharpton to apologize to the white kids from Duke.

And still waiting for the lynch mob that follows them -- some who are regulars on this board --- to demand an apology.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You're going to be kept waiting then. That lynch mob of Jesse and Sharpton supporters are waiting to have the batteries in their pacemakers replaced.

Why bother to give life around the media generated support of Sharpton and Jesse?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

god forbid journalists finish a story, follow up and hold those accountable for what they said in the past. Chances that Lil Russ would have Al or Jesse on and play clips of their prior statements? Zero

Draft saved Draft deleted