1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke professors backpedaling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jan 17, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/533242.html

I read the "open letter." I also read the original ad (links to both can be found in the above story). You can judge for yourself, but that ad certainly contained at least the appearance that the lacrosse players were not being given the presumption of innocence by this gang of 88 or whatever they're called -- despite what they're claiming now.

2. I don't think the ad says anything of the sort. It does assume that the event happened, but there's a lot of "no matter what the investigation may show" stuff in there and, if it turns out there was no rape, it doesn't make any of the allegations of sexism and racism in the original ad more or less true. The open letter, however, is pretty plainly some faculty people's attempt at CYA maneuvering.
    I thought the point made in the ad about what might have happened if this were the football team was an interesting one.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Duke has a football team?

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

This is amazing. I can't believe people like this get paid good money to teach college kids.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah...they even finished third in the fraternity flag-football tournament.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Yeah, they almost beat Alabama this year. What an embarrassment.

7. Nick'll put a stop to that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Alabama has a football team?

I know. I was at the game...

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Duke came a chip-shot field goal away from beating ACC champion and Orange Bowl loser Wake Forest. It would have been terrible for one kick to ruin the Blue Devils' perfect (0-12) season. The Raiders just couldn't choke with the same consistency.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think both times the faculty wrote a letter was a damn good time to STFU and NOT write a letter.

This was not about them and how they felt about Duke's reputation. This was about an alleged rape case.

But they can't see past their ivy-covered offices and their Mensa cocktail parties.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought it was more interesting that they used the football team as a hypothetical, and not the basketball team.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No argument on that opinion right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted