1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke official charged in child sex case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 26, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't think it should be excluded because it might make people uneasy. I think it should be excluded until you have some context for including it. A quote, a police report, something other than 'and he's gay.'

Honestly, calling him gay might be the nicest thing anyone can say about him.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, it's a moot point now, since Carlton linked his source, but I was referring to this:

Not quite seeing how anyone would write this based on 'inside knowledge.'

And btw, that column Carlton linked, does it say the child was adopted by the couple? Sounds like he was adopted only by the molester, maybe I missed it.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

21....it's part of the story, it's who he is. It's no different than mentioning "recovering alcoholic/drug addict", which are commonplace in describing suspects.

And, before anyone mentions..."he didn't choose to be gay", alcoholism is a disease, people don't choose to be addicts....it's part of their DNA.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

If he were a gay man, or the adoption to a homosexual couple, and there was nothing wrong or no crimes committed then, no, his orientation and the details of the adoption are no one's business. However, since he was molesting the child, even if it has no bearing on the facts of the actual crime, the story of this bastard's life should be told completely. The number of gay and lesbian couples that adopt children is fairly small (4 percent according to the March 2007 study I looked at). So, yes, the fact that this child was in a family that is unlike 96% of the other adoptive families in the United States is newsworthy.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That was unclear to me as well. He was "being raised by a homosexual couple" would probably be a better way to put it without firmly knowing the facts on that.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's a fact, but not prima facie newsworthy. You're not writing a story about how same-sex adoptions are going. It's the story of a pedophile.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree.....Carlton, we're not on the same page.

I think it should be included because it's relevant in describing the scumbag....not as an indictment on gay marriage or adoption. If the charges are true, this case won't be going away and the fact he's a gay man will eventually come out.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So to speak

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I am not saying it is an indictment on gay marriage or adoption, just that part of the story was left out. Like, to use an example from earlier in the thread, if the man were a Catholic priest. The fact he is a gay man already is coming out, all I am saying is it should have come out in the first place ... not that he was more apt to molest the child because he is gay or anything like that.

10. Selena Roberts to the white courtesy phone please, you have a call.

Selena Roberts to the white courtesy phone.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

21, I'm still curious how you would answer this.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No clue why this is relevant, but batting 8th is a documented event that requires no substantiation or sourcing or context. What is your point?

Draft saved Draft deleted