1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke official charged in child sex case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 26, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

First of all, I don't know if it's true that the adoptive father is a homosexual.

But, how would protest groups demand a repeal of homosexual adoption laws because of this case if it's not reported that the father is a homosexual adoptive parent?

It seems to me that it's not a part of the story because they don't want to feed into the agenda of whatever groups would make such an argument.

But it's not the press's job to keep news that would be "red meat" for certain groups out of the news.

If the guy was the chairman of his local republican committee, that would sure as shit be reported even though his actions would reflect on the average republican as much as this guy's actions reflect upon the average homosexual.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

YankeeFan--i asked how Carlton knew he was gay. If it was already reported, then why are we having this discussion...if he just 'knows,' as Blitz suggested, this is a ridiculous conversation.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I just googled the guy and read a bunch of articles on him. I now want to cry, vomit, or both. I usually don't read these stories because they disturb me too much -- no matter the race, sex, or sexual orientation of perpetrator or victim.

That he is part of a homosexual couple is being reported on TownHall.com -- not exactly a mainstream news org. Not sure how the writer knows; he doesn't say.

Here's the excerpt:

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

IMO, and as someone that doesn't work journalism (a shocking revelation I'm sure), it's relevant for the reason other's have stated.....it paints a complete picture of the family.

If the person charged was at one time a Catholic priest that left the church to be with his lover......it would be reported. If it was a former stripper, it would be in the story.

By ignoring his sexuality is an insult to the public.....and basically assuming the people that purchase your product and keep you in business aren't mature enough to read about a child predator who happens to be gay.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

http://townhall.com/columnists/MikeAdams/2009/06/28/little_boy_blue_devil
    Page 2

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This was my point, not some "hate mongering" reason as accused. It was poor journalism. The entire story was not told. If facts were supressed because of an agenda, that would be inexcusable.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We're talking about a man who molested his 5 year old son and offered him to others for the same purpose.

Does it seem rather obvious that the man in question is something far more extreme than merely gay??

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why what?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Repped for real talk.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

He's obviously a sick person, and his sexuality had nothing to do with this crime....but, he identified himself as a gay man.

In some cases, he could have used his sexuality to his advantage in the name of diversity, maybe even with adopting this child, it shouldn't be excluded in this story because it may make some people uneasy.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why is it a ridiculous conversation?

Draft saved Draft deleted