1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke official charged in child sex case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 26, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Of course, you jump to that conclusion. It seems to me that you are the one putting homosexuals into a category. You think they should still be in the shadows with their big secret, right? Not mentioning the fact that this was a homosexual couple adopting this child does the reader a disservice. Or are the facts relevant only if they are not "offensive" to one side or the other? And go f yourself for assuming why I brought this up. Libs like you are the LEAST tolerant people there are. The couple was homosexual, why should they be ashamed of it? Why should the reporter be ashamed to report it?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Guy, seriously?? 'Mathematically not the norm' doesn't equal wrong or criminal or cause for suspicion.

If a child was adopted by a single parent, and the child was left in a hot car and died, is it in any way relevant that this was a single parent adoption? The issue the neglect, not the adoption.

Anyway, I want to know how Carlton knew the couple was gay. Can we see how it was reported?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It'd be like asking "why should the reporter be ashamed to report the color of the shirt he wore?" I'm sure he's not in either case; it comes down to reporting what needs to be reported and only that; otherwise, every story would be 3,000 words.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Fair enough, though it might not have ever been "reported."
    We all occasionally have inside knowledge.
    If it WAS reported, though, seeing it would be appropriate.

And how in the hell is the fact that they were a gay couple who adopted "not relevant?"

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The least tolerant of shitheads like you, that part you got right.

You had a typo in 'fuck,' let me help you. Go fuck yourself.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Of course it doesn't, but is that all that you report? If the parent in question were unusually wealthy or had invented something or was prominent but not famous, you wouldn't note it? It's not a wrong or cause for suspicion, but it does add to the narative of the story.

This is really the same case, and I see that it's close, but yeah, I think I would to complete the picture. In that case, it might even be more relevant - making the reader more liekly to believe that the tragedy might have been accidental than neglectful.

Are you sure that you're not just so offended by Carlton's motivation that it's clouding your thinking?

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Let the public draw their own conclusions and opinions.

Don't be afraid to tell the whole story.
    Society (readership) will be fine with "all" the info, I promise you.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The only reason to make homosexuality relevant here is to imply that there's a connection between being gay and being a sexual predator.

9. Guy_Incognito

I guess I'll just agree to disagree. Actually, let me ask you one last question. If Wang had been batting 8th when he got hurt last year running the bases, would you have put it in a story about the injury?

10. dooley_womack1

The percentage of times a pitcher bats eighth is muchmuchmuchmuchmuch smaller than the percentage of same-sex adoptions. And the fact would be a note about why Girardi did the lineup that way, not written to imply it was a cause.

11. Guy_Incognito

I was never suggesting that it should be written to imply that it was a cause in the Duke case, only as a note. And it seems to me that we now agree in principle, and are just haggling over the numbers. I'm curious why you're so sure in this Tony LaRussa world that you're right.

12. dooley_womack1

Wang's spot in the batting order and the guy's orientation are apples and oranges, the irrelevant mentioning in the latter case having a pernicious effect.

Draft saved Draft deleted