1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke LAX rape charges dropped, other charges remain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Del_B_Vista, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's clear she wasn't raped. What isn't clear, at least based on what's been said today, is whether or not she was sexually assaulted.

I still think these kids are going to walk on all charges though. Whether anything happened or not.

2. Right now, they're going to have to change the venue to Mars to get a jury, I'm thinking.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The NYT angle: Other charges still remain

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

sad isn't it.

How long before the first column about how these spoiled brats may not have raped this women....but with their sense of entitlement they've certainly sexually assaulted someone in the past...and for that they should be punished!

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm sorry, but Nilfong is demonstrating a total abuse of his power. Nothing he has done regarding this case has screamed anything other than complete and utter incompetence. We hear it a lot, but this is a classic example of Nifong not letting the facts get in the way of a good case.

Can you prosecute a prosecutor?

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And we should expect John Saunders to make an apology to the Duke Women's Lacrosse team for slamming them for supporting the former men's coach and saying that they (the women) have no clue about being sexually assaulted on SR months ago.

Asshat.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

People don't make apologies when they're on that side of the PC argument, though. So that asshattery will go ignored.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Ok....it's becoming much clearer to me now.....apparently the recent developments in the Duke case don't warrant mentioning. A website full of sportsjournalists have no opinion that the D.A. dropped the rape charges on a story that garnered everyone's attention 7 months ago? If this case went to trial...I bet my life, you and the paper you write for would have daily would dedicate ink to it.

In May, it was on the front page of every major paper and news outlet, CNN, Fox....etc., but now.......all of a sudden everyone is silent.

Please explain this to me.

10. When they drop the other charges, AL, then you have your abuse of prosecution case. Until then, Bob Bennett's press conferences still don't constitute proof.
    And, as for the gospel according to the drawing board, other charges DO remain.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What the DA is doing to these kids is akin to what the NYPD did to Sean Bell. Instead of assassinating a man, he is attempting to assassinate the rest of their lives. Switch the races, and you'll switch your position. F"Rhoden" _B

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

This whole thing has been a crock from the start.

Disbar the motherfucker.

Draft saved Draft deleted