1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke Lacrosse TV time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brain of J, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

So 2 of the Duke Lacrosse players and their new head coach were on Cold Pizza this morning.

Does that strike anyone else out there as odd?

I know they were cleared of any charges and the prosecution had basically no case against them. If you read the article on the case in the New Yorker, though, it really sounds like they weren't the most innocent people in the world either.
    The story was "Duke Lacrosse back in action."
    The players were innocent of rape, but the coach was fired and they were at a pretty racy party when the girl said she was "raped." Those emails that were released were pretty lude also.
    Doesn't seem like the best "good guys bouncing back from adversity" story to me.
  2. busuncle

busuncle Member

It was a single sarcastic, probably drunken e-mail.
  3. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Didn't Pressler resign? I don't think he was fired.

And yeah, this whole thing is just odd. They're trying to make some "triumph out of tragedy" story when there shouldn't be one.
  4. Cleared of all charges?
    Not the last i heard.
  5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

We've already talked about this on an original thread. Keep up Newbie!!! :)

Of course ESPN is going to be giddy talking about the "rise of Duke Lacrosse." Actually, it isn't. After all of this shit and chaos, most of those kids are lucky that they get to play tomorrow against Darmouth.

And I'm still waiting for Saunders to apologize to the Duke women's lax team for supporting Pressler and not having a clue about rape and sexual assault. The girls are not stupid and Pressler took the bullet for the administration.
  7. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

College kids at a party where a stripper showed up is not a big deal, brain of j. Doesn't make 'em bad kids, either.
  8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah, no shit. I'm sure none of us are complete angels, with the exception of Moddy. They're kids. Cut them some slack.
  9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You last two are more than a little bit off base. These "kids" are still charged with sexually assaulting and kidnapping a stripper.

And Riddick, maybe you can say "there, but by the grace of God, go I" ... but I can say I would not have been at that party and gotten that close to a world full of trouble. And I think a lot of us here can say they would not have gotten into that situation.

This was a little more than college kids at a party where a stripper showed up. Re-check your notes.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You're right, it was a party where two prostitutes who strip showed up, not just one stripper. It's also one where the prostitute in question has lied more than Al Sharpton in his Twanna Brawley days, For which he has been held liable as a proven liar. Check the facts, not just the notes
  11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And that dismisses the young men of any responsibility.

Your reasoning processes sometimes escape me.
  12. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Well I would have been at that party in college and I don't mind saying so. And those charges? Yeah, I'm sure they're guilty ... gotta believe some crazy stripper is telling the truth. I mean, she's been nothing but honest throughout this whole process. Isn't she a single mother with a few kids, too? Great gal, there.
Draft saved Draft deleted