1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke Lacrosse - All charges dropped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don’t even know that I believe this, honestly. I’m just throwing it out there for discussion.

If these guys aren’t guilty, and they were falsely accused, and their names are tainted anyway, shouldn’t the name of the false accuser (IF she’s a false accuser) be out there? I’m not talking about reasonable doubt here, rather damn-near undeniable proof they didn’t.

On the other hand, if anyone actually raped her, there is no physically or psychologically violent-enough punishment for a rapist. Rapists deserve any punishment they receive, and likely much more.

2. Msaint

Msaint Member

And -- d
    and there it is, folks -- ding, ding, ding! -- the exact point of view that deemed it perfectly OK to falsely accuse, lock these kids up and throw away the key even before the first shred of credible evidence was ever presented. well done, jboy.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well done, Msaint.

4. boots

boots New Member

Bet on Black. That phrase has a new meaning at Duke.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes

6. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

That might violate Title IX. If you pay the legal costs of male students, ...

7. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Amen!! Thank you Fox News. More outlets should be publishing this liar's name.

8. Civil rights actions are federal. You'd have to get a US Attorney involved -- unless there's some NC statute I'm not aware of.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed.

10. abcdefg

abcdefg Guest

Let’s get rid of the overblown hyperbole tossed around here. Nobody was locked up with the key thrown away in this case. What happened was justice prevailed BEFORE these men were locked up. That’s very rare in today’s legal system, and it only came about because these men are rich and able to afford top legal representation. Most don’t have that luxury.

One of the lacrosse players said this opened his eyes to injustice in the criminal system. I wish it would open eyes on SportsJournalists.com, too. Maybe I missed it, but I don’t see as many threads on the 13 men in Dallas County who have had their convictions overturned based on DNA evidence since 2001. I don’t see a national lynch mob out to get the former prosecutor there who pushed for so many convictions of innocent people. Oh, that’s right. At least some of those were just minorities. I guess it’s hard to work up the same sense of outrage about them. But those people really were locked up with the key thrown away. It took decades in some cases for justice to prevail. Talk about lives being ruined.

That’s not to make light of what those lacrosse players went through. But everybody seems to be lashing out over the great injustice visited upon them in this case. In the end, there was no great injustice. They never went to jail. They were exonerated. That's justice. Most who come up against the system are not so fortunate.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

The great injustice is that they are now household names and will always be connected with this case. In the future....maybe we can let the judicial system and not the media convict.

12. jboy

jboy Guest

Thanks! Seriously, though, it's not that I don't feel for those guys. I can't imagine the hell they've been through. But let's not blow smoke. These guys' lives aren't ruined. They'll all find good jobs, buy a nice house, join a country club, etc., etc.

I'd feel a lot sorrier for a poor white kid without the means to hire expensive attorneys. Why? Because he'd be in jail right now.

Good for those guys to get cleared, and, yes, that prosecutor was a fucking idiot and deserves never to work again. It's possible to be innocent and still be a jerk, as I'm guessing frat boys who hire a stripper for their parties are.

Draft saved Draft deleted