1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke Lacrosse - All charges dropped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

He gets to try to get his only a little tainted name back.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Listening to Cossack on ESPNews and he said it's unlikely that the players can sue anyone: the accuser (she has no money), the DA's office (public entity in which makes them immune), and Duke (because they were not the ones who arrested them, only booted them out of school).

In a way, according to Cossack, the players may not get an apology or even file a civil suit against anyone.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Someone should ask Cossack if he believes Nilfong, under the color of authority, tried to violate their Civil Rights.

Imagine a white waitress falsing accusing Jesse Jackson of rape and a white prosecutor, knowing the accusation to be untrue, but still tried to prosecute.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

From a savvy attorney friend of mine:

"The law provides for almost total immunity for prosecutors from such suits. So, normally my answer is that these guys have no chance for a claim. However, in a case such as this I think the players would prevail in a suit and more likely work out a large settlement with apologies from the city/county/whatever. There is money to be had."

5. jboy

jboy Guest

I guess these guys will have to get through life on nothing more than rich parents and a degree from Duke. sniff, sniff :'(

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Good strippers have money.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

So have read on a couple of sites this story and nowhere does it mention the accuser's name?
    I wonder which papers/sites will decide to print her name?

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Check out Drudge.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Wow .. she has her own wikipedia page. Damn.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't see the pictures of her from that night.

11. There's always a bottom-feeder like Drudge to rely on.
    Good to know.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Or Fox News.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265374,00.html

Draft saved Draft deleted