1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke Lacrosse - All charges dropped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree, I highly doubt they'll sue. More than likely they want to put this entire thing behind them as fast as possible....by suing, they're only keeping they're names in public eye, and their lives open to greater scrutiny.

2. boots

boots New Member

I'm sure these assclowns will think again about wanting to see some brown sugar.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don’t know what happened in that house any more than nearly all of you do, but if all those guys are guilty of is bad taste, couldn’t they get a shitload of punitive damage money from a lot of people? Forgive my legal ignorance here if I’m way off base, but if I was in their position, and everyone for the rest of my life was going to unfairly think I was a rapist no matter what I did, you bet I would want to become the richest unhappy person ever. I would get good lawyers and get what was coming to me. That way I could at least get my degree and move to another country and start over with a shitload of money.

I would bet some high-profile attorneys would love to take those boys’ cases.

4. Hammer Pants

And let me add that for all I know, they could all be terrible human beings. They could have actually done this.

But if they didn’t… cha-ching.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

The only way they get a nickel is if they can prove Nifong acted illegally.... the woman has no money......Duke has tons of money, but they can easily justify kicking the kids out of school for their behavior that night. Duke can just say that hiring strippers, using racial slurs are not the behavior that Duke wants.

Believe me.....you think you'd sue everyone, but then you'd realize there's no one to sue, you'll only be bringing greater attention to something you and your family want to move on from, and it would cost a ton of money to hire the type of attorney needed to take on a D.A. and University.

6. Hammer Pants

Fair enough. I qualified my posts by saying I don’t know much about legal matters, other than free speech ones and such. I was just saying that if I was them, and I didn’t do this, and everyone thought I did anyway, I would exhaust every legal loophole I could to get as much money as I could. I’d rather be rich and miserable than just plain miserable.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Didn't that Collin Finnerty fella have some trouble in Washington DC before this?

I'm not certain you could make the case this kid had a "good name" to begin with.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I understand.....but the problem is most likely you won't be "rich and miserable"....you'll have less money than you when started with when you factor in the cost of the legal team you'd need to hire. And I'm sure they've already spent at least 50k each for their lawyers........

I sure hope they go after Nifong though, his being disbarred will greatly help their cause......plus they could sue for the college tuition money that Jesse Jackson promised the stripper.

9. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

That was allegedly part of the problem to begin with. They wanted white strippers.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I feel bad for all "real" rape victims.

11. boots

boots New Member

But they went to the dark side and got into trouble.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

At the very least, Duke should be paying every dime of their tuition for the rest of their college days whether they stay at the school or transfer.

Draft saved Draft deleted