1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke Lacrosse - All charges dropped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I say, prosecute the fuckin' prosecutor. Pronto.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The players' families have already contacted Duke, asking if they will help pay the legal costs for the players' defense. Duke has not said no yet.

3. girl friday

girl friday Member

Nifong can't be touched by the players' families -- public officials cannot be sued for something they did during the course of their work.

Now, if it can be proven that Nifong pushed this so hard to further his own re-election cause and moved the case forward, pinning it on three innocent kids, knowing that they were innocent, I'd hope he can be forced to resign or kicked out of office.

4. No.
    Because they don't want the discovery process in this any more than Nifong does.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thought you were pre-law?

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

How about pressing charges against the stripper for false accusation of rape?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There's something called "malicious prosecution" or something. Nifong could actually be sued.

--------

There's still the racist things that the players said, the scary e-mails, the sense of entitlement... so please forgive me if I don't want to anoint these guys saints....

That said, they've more than paid for their sins.

What's sad is, if they were racist before, this will only confirm their beliefs. And the divide grows ever more.

Well: Whitlock was right all along. (Now excuse me while I go puke.)

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thing is, IIRC, the e-mail was sent by a kid who wasn't among those charged and the racist comments were not attributed to any specific players, just the group in general. None of that was pinned on these kids.

Somebody else mentioned the parents asking the school to help with their legal bills. Not only should they get that but they shouldn't have to pay a dime in tuition to that place ever again.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

same thing

Is Jesse still paying the hooker's tuition?

10. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I think it was one (drunken) e-mail, and it wasn't sent by any of the players who was charged.

Don't get me wrong. A lacrosse team anywhere -- but especially at Duke -- is like a walking embodient of white privilege, a liberal's wet dream. That's why a lot of people WANTED to believe this was true. But of the four players charged, there's no evidence that they represented a particular malicious, racist or entitled faction. They were just chosen, literally, at random.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Part of reparations?

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

N.C. prosecutors will make the announcement at 2:30. Apparently, CNN thinks lacrosse is spelled LaCrosse.

Draft saved Draft deleted