1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke lacrosse accuser's name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Apr 12, 2007.

?

Is your paper naming the Duke lacrosse accuser?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2007.
  1. Yes

38.1%
  2. No

61.9%
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

If that's true (and I have no reason to believe it's not true), that's crap. Bad on her. Serena's a good person, but that would be a mistake, IMO.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think your view is skewed by your conservatism. There are lots of rich kids at, say, Babson or Bates or Lake (CQ) Forest or the University of the South or Emory, and if the story had happened there, it'd have been a brief except in the local papers. But this was Duke ... athletic powerhouse ... untouched by scandal ... home of the Sainted Coach K ... icon of The New South. I think the play was dictated more by the school's status than the kids' demographics.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree it would have been kept local if it wasn't Duke.....and if it wasn't a black woman accusing white athletes of rape. Frank, the demographics of the parties involved played just as big a role as the fact it was Duke.

Also....my politics have nothing to do with my opinion, I'm a registered Democrat if you must know. My problem is how the media covers these cases....and I'll admit my view being askew on that subject, and believe me....I have every right to feel that way.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

See, I don't think that's true. Just off the top of my head, remember this case? Gang rape of a passed-out woman in a restaurant in the middle of nowhere, working-class white town near the Canadian border. I'd say almost as much coverage -- pretty sure 60 Minutes profiled it, least that's the way I remember it.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/k/g_oliver_koppell/index.html?query=GOUVERNEUR%20(NY)&field=geo&match=exact

In the Duke case, there was outrage over prosecutorial misconduct. In the New York case, outrage over the men initially just being fined.

I think if it had been a white stripper, it would have received the same coverage. Still would have been a bunch of rich kids and a woman who needed to take off her clothes for a living. Still would have been Duke.

And then what about about all the coverage recently of the case in Virginia of the guy being charged years later after he wrote a letter of apology to his victim? Both white.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Frank....we disagree on why this case received the attention it did, but my beef isn't about why it received the attention, it's how the story was reported.

There was clearly a bias against the players and I was always led to believe it is the job of the media to report, not play judge and jury.

Draft saved Draft deleted