1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke lacrosse accuser's name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Apr 12, 2007.

?

Is your paper naming the Duke lacrosse accuser?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2007.
  1. Yes

38.1%
  2. No

61.9%
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good. She deserves it. This crap is on her and Nifong. Those guys got railroaded.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Isn't it ironic that Imus is pictured with a nappy headed ho?

Or was she a stripper?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not the point. We report that. Where I draw the line is us straying from our role as detached observer and meting out punishment to the woman with gleeful or attacking headlines and splashing her name -- which performs no public service, as she is free to change her name, just like Tawana Brawley changed hers. They are saying she will not be charged, and no doubt they have their reasons for that. It is not our role to perform a vigilante-style pillory of this woman in the public square. We report on the penal system, we ought not usurp its role.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Here's her name:

"Woman who made it tougher for legitimate rape victims everywhere."

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She remains an accuser. She accused them of raping her. No ifs, ands or buts there. What we can no longer do, as far as I'm concerned, is refer to her as a victim in any way.

And for whoever brought up the Kobe case, the charges were dropped because the girl withdrew her accusations, which was quickly followed by a monetary settlement with Kobe. Apples and oranges. Similar, but only because charges of rape were involved.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The Kobe case is even more convoluted than that.

The girl dropped her criminal suit because she was convinced - and rightfully so, in my opinion - that the court had no interest in protecting her anonymity or other rights due an alleged rape victim according to Colorado/federal statues - and she dropped the case.

Kobe's lawyers wowed/cowed the judge, and the accuser's lawyer's dropped the suit, at her behest.

I'm not saying Kobe was innocent or not, but the way the proceeding were handled was a farce, from an outsider's perspective.

And remember, Kobe signed a settlement agreement, which goes a long way towards negating any 'innocence' on his part, no matter how the Wilbon's of the world tried to spin it.

Something bad and non-consensual happened in that hotel room, something that involved a good amount of blood on someone's T-shirt.

And we know the accuser in that case wasn't a virgin, so draw your own conclusions.

The Duke case is totally different.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

She lied. She couldn't even keep her story straight. No ifs, ands or buts there either.

Name the bitch.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I did say earlier that she should be named 2mcm. I'm just pointing out that describing her as an accuser remains accurate.

I can accuse you of drinking pink frou-frou drinks even if I know you don't. I remain an accuser, a lying one, but still an accuser.

Any paper still calling her an alleged victim is a) perpetuating a falsehood and b) idiotic.

9. now that is funny

10. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

For what it's worth, here's some outstanding work by the Charlotte Observer:

http://charlotte.com/171/story/83764.html

Sad stuff. There are no winners here.

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

[​IMG]

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That's funny. I'm going to have to use that image, Satchel. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted