1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke lacrosse accuser's name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Apr 12, 2007.

?

Is your paper naming the Duke lacrosse accuser?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2007.
  1. Yes

38.1%
  2. No

61.9%
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Just curious as to what people's papers are choosing to do with the Duke lacrosse accuser's name. How many papers are using it in stories? I know AP isn't, but some of the N.C. papers are.

We're not because we don't use accuser's name, etc., but I really don't think I agree with it. While I'm not in favor of publishing accusers' names generally, that she lied about the accusations is obvious at this point and I don't think she deserves the protection of anonymity any longer.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. This is much different than printing her name if they were acquitted after trial. This is a false accusation that isn't going to trial.
    That said, most papers will not run it because it isn't PC and don't want to face the backlash from womyn's groups.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm one of those womyn of which you speak, and I think she should be named, FWIW.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for you, SC...

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Post did not only name her. They put her picture on front page.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm encouraged to know several of the papers printing her name have sought out rape crisis centers' counsel before doing so.

I can see how many would fear backlash and the ripple effect on future "real" rape victims reporting the crime, however, in a sick twist, I hope it serves as a lesson to those men and women who think reporting false crimes is OK because you are protected behind the cloak of anonymity.

7. I don't believe our paper named her but I would like to make a distinction between two words being used synonymously here ... there's a big difference between "victims" and "accusers" ... the rule is that papers shouldn't identify rape victims ...

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It's not like these guys are not guilty because of reasonable doubt, or a loophole.
    They were named innocent.
    Name her.
    Good for the Post. I just hope this girl, who is probably legitimately insane, gets the help she needs.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Which, of course, begins with having her name pulled through the dirt by the Fox mafia.

The accuser's ID is hardly the point. The miscarriage of justice was carried out by the DA's department and the media. The media is too willing to eat out of the hands of cops and courts, the cops and courts are too willing to feed the media poisoned food

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

We not only didn't print the accusers' name, we didn't print the suspect's names.

Our policy is to not name suspects of sex crimes until they're convicted.

Never mind they were voluntarily on 60 Minutes telling their life story.

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

what she did was horrible ... name her.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Good points all.
    I think I just got served.

Draft saved Draft deleted