1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke fanboy loosers think Dookie V's ESPN is unfair to the Blue Devils?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 27, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Stormy, I'm assuming the entire song wasn't used.

And DD, I don't think so. There are very few teams I care enough about to "snort laugh" at. UNC is one. The Yankees is the other. That might be it. I hate sports, in general.

I haven't read the article, so I can't speak on it. But here's an example: When Kentucky lost to Duke in '92 on Laettner's shot, Kentucky did a montage of their season with "The Dance" by Garth Brooks as the music. When it got to the one point about not knowing how it all would end, it froze Laettner in mid-air and faded to black.

But here are the lyrics:

Now, obviously, no one held a UK player. It's the same way sometimes a woman will dedicate a song to a man that's sung by a man, meaning he says things about a woman...doesn't mean the person it's being dedicated to is a man.

It's the overriding emotion of the song. Not a word-for-word transcription that is meant in these cases. And to poke fun of that like it's some homoerotic dedication is beyond weird.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

But it's Duke & if Mother Theresa was involved, I would still find something funny and/or egregiously wrong with it.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Anyone see the game last night?

Anything come of this appeal?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think if NASCAR put together a montage of Chad Knaus fixing up cars for Jimmie Johnson to "Everything I Do, I Do it For You" it would draw considerable scorn and snort laughing from you, IJAG.

Also, I hear Coach K would sometime blow on J.J.'s ear while he was shooting free throws, hoping to distract him like Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio did to Costner when he was shooting arrows.

5. You made up that last part, right?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And I've got a new sig...

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I watched parts of it and didn't notice the Duke students doing anything different.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The first part is strawman, because Chad Knaus doesn't work for Jimmie Johnson. He works for Hendrick Motorsports.

The second part, however, made me giggle.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well, they did have a special player-coach relationship.

[​IMG]

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Eh, I think that's a little straw-clutching there IJAG. While he may be a Hendrick employee, he is and will be Johnson's crew chief for the forseeable future, and I'd bet that if Johnson ever moves on, Knaus will go with him.

Not that I'm expecting that to ever happen.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Right, but I'm saying...the video wouldn't be made. Basketball videos are commonplace. Can't think of a school that DOESN'T do some sort of montage for its seniors or its entire teams.

But the point stands. I wouldn't be "snort-laughing" the same way I don't at the K-State video or virtually any other sports-related video posted here. I do, however, still love the Appalachian State "Hot Hot Hot" video, and will until the day I die.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And we get back to the general schadenfreude that people have for Duke, like you have for UNC.

People are going to get a chuckle out of this because it is Duke.

Draft saved Draft deleted