1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke fanboy loosers think Dookie V's ESPN is unfair to the Blue Devils?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Just to clarify. This isn't a fan board. It's a fairly prominent Duke basketball site: Duke Basketball Report. While not official, it's a fairly reputable Web site that posts exclusive columns from Al Featherston, a veteran ACC sportswriter, and Barry Jacobs, a guy who has written books and covered games for the New York Times. To say it's an idiot fan board isn't fair to the site.

The rant quoted in the first post of this thread is the opinion of the guys who run the Web site. And, yes, I'm hammering them for that. I don't think I'm hammering the school (not that you said that I did). At least the other link posted later in the thread clarifies what their beefs are.

Am I having a little fun at Duke's expense. Guilty. :)

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Quite, quite right.

K's a very clever psychologist, especially in terms of getting his players to achieve sustained focus.

Duke basketball is typically a classic case of synergy.

Merely pointing out one of the typical aftereffects, i. e. Duke roundball players to seek to make it at the next level find that their ideal showcase is behind them, never to be recovered.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

Al Featherston is one of the guys that got squeezed in Durham following one of Paxton's initial dives into ignorance. In all fairness, just because it posts columns from Featherston and Barry Jacobs doesn't mean they endorse the site.

I know you know that, but still ... if the site wants to be at all reputable, it has to stop with petty threats and general stupidity.

I'm quite certain Duke University supports only www.goduke.com officially.

4. ondeadline

[​IMG]

There are some successes in the list:
    Shane Battier (31) Houston Rockets SF
    Carlos Boozer (5) Utah Jazz PF
    Elton Brand (42) Los Angeles Clippers PF
    Luol Deng (9) Chicago Bulls SF
    Chris Duhon (21) Chicago Bulls PG
    Mike Dunleavy (17) Indiana Pacers SG
    Grant Hill (33) Phoenix Suns SG
    Corey Maggette (50) Los Angeles Clippers SF
    Josh McRoberts (4) Portland Trail Blazers PF
    Shavlik Randolph (42) Philadelphia 76ers PF
    J.J. Redick (7) Orlando Magic SG
    Shelden Williams (33) Atlanta Hawks.

Of course there has been some terrible luck with guys such as Jason Williams and Bobby Hurley.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This may deserve its own thread on the journalism board, but it's amusing to me that coaches love it when national media gives blow jobs and coaches can act senatorial, but continue to treat local beat writers and papers like shit.

"Don't come after me and Duke Nation! I'm a man! I'm 58!!!!!"

Back to the thread at hand, Duke fans need to STFU and sit their MF'ing asses down. There isn't a conspiracy to rip you bastards, unless they're from Chapel Hill.

6. ondeadline

Make no mistake about it. When a national media member wants to do a piece, Krzyzewski always seems to be accommodating. Rarely does Krzyzewski ever grant a local reporter a one-on-one interview. If they want quotes in the summer, they come from his one summer press conference. You want quotes during the season? Get in on the ACC teleconference or show up after the game.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly. This was the point I was trying to make to my uncle after the Gundy meltdown. He strongly felt that the media are assholes and coaches have every right to go off of them if they do a hack job on their program (or players or the coach, a la Gundy vs. Carlson). I said it's a two-way street, but it's usually one-sided because the coaches get paranoid over what could be published about him/her and they go Dick Nixon on everyone.

I tried to tell him that not all journalists are going to toss the "gotcha agenda card" at someone. A good number of local beat writers do their jobs, whether they have a hard-on for a coach or have a beef with them. Most of the questions they ask are legitimate questions, and that rubs coaches the wrong way, rather than treat them with kid gloves 24/7.

So I challenged my uncle, who does a local radio sports show and the panel he is on to discuss the issue with the local paper SE or the beat writers from Iowa, ISU, or UNI and get their POV. I have yet to hear if they are going to pursue it.

8. Does Duke really want to brag on Corey Maggette?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to be missing the comedy here. This passage from Jon Pessah's ESPN the Mag article strikes me as one of the most uncomfortable, creepy things I've ever read about Duke and Coach K.

Video of J.J. Redick hitting one perfect jumper after another flickers across a projection screen, accompanied by Brian Adams, singing "Everything I Do, I Do It For You." The image morphs into Redick embracing his college coach and saluting fans after this final game. When the lights come up, Krzyzewski walks onto the floor of Cameron Indoor Stadium. "J.J." Krzyzewski says, "is a great example of what a Duke basketball player should be."

I just pray that Redick didn't always have to wear the Maid Marian costume in that bizzaro fantasy.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That guy should be shot for misspelling Bryan Adams' name.

And I really don't see what's creepy about it. People do music montages for players all the time. Everything he did, he did for Duke...what's the problem?

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I misspelled Adams' name. I had to hand type the paragraph in because ESPN the Mag doesn't make their articles avaliable on line.

And it's totally creepy to use that song, which is clearly not about J.J.'s relationship with Duke, but his relationship with Emperor Krzyzewski. Completely creepy. If it were anyone but Duke, you'd be snort-laughing with the rest of us.

Actually, overall, I thought the article was completely fair, and a good example of how ESPN the Mag is slowly but steadily doing smarter, less fawning articles about its sacred cows.

Draft saved Draft deleted