1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke fanboy loosers think Dookie V's ESPN is unfair to the Blue Devils?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Actually, you can't characterize this as "rants on a fan board." This is the opinion of the people who run this site, which actually is a decent site for links and one I go to regularly even though I'm not a Duke fan. Sometimes their opinions are on target, but not this one. And, as GB-Hack points out, there is no specific comment that it cites.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But the people that run the site ARE FANS. And I won't defend fans of any team, as I don't think they represent the team in any way.

I liked the Browns. Didn't like the fans that threw batteries.
    I like Duke. Don't like douchey fans.

Drawing a comparison is weak.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One could say "xxx wouldn't be anything without ESPN" for a lot of sports entities, but Duke basketball has got quite the magic carpet ride from ESPN for 20 years. Their fans protesting the network is hilarious.

4. ondeadline

They're definitely delusional fans.

Not that he's done this again since then, but I remember Krzyzewski dressing down a Duke Chronicle (the student newspaper) reporter over writing something negative. So I don't think that it's just some (not all) fans who need to get a thicker skin.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Here's the thing, though, playthrough.

Any team at the top gets the "magic carpet ride" from ESPN. Kentucky does/did. I know. I watched it all the time in college when they were playing in three straight title games, winning two of them.

It doesn't negate the fact that they can still question the way stories are presented, especially stories not about the basketball team. If this is, in fact, about the rape case, then the students/fans can do what they want without being called bitches.

Instance, just because my paper may cover a team that has won three state titles in the past four years doesn't mean fans can't bitch if we misidentify a player.

Sucking up 90 percent of the time doesn't change the fact that these students feel the reporting was shoddy (again, assuming that's what this is about).

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is the video Bubbler is talking about. It's a parody of "This is Why I'm Hot."

(NSFW because of language at the beginning).

"You even suck at rape" is pretty much the keeper of a line.

7. ondeadline

That's the problem with DBR's rant: It never specifically says what ESPN did to upset them. You could guess that it was coverage of the rape case. But since they don't say, guessing is all you can do.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fair enough.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Because I know BYH is going to request it:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but Duke fans pulling a stunt like crossing their arms for a crowd shot won't mean a thing. To 99.99 percent of the country it will look like the usual choreography the fans have for every game, and they'll go right back to hamming for the cameras and rubbing Vitale's bald head five minutes later. And at the end of the day they would be prouder over the stunt than the message, that's how most 20-year-olds are. Sorry, it just rings hollow to me.

But for disclosure, I admit that every Dukie I've met has been completely full of him/herself. So I'm a titch biased.

11. chester

chester Member

How exactly would the students even know exactly when the crowd shots are being shown on the air anyways?

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

They're talking, I believe, about before the game when the camera rolls along in front of the crowd with the red light blaring.

Draft saved Draft deleted