1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DUI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The caviat there is that you only do it again if you weren't scared enough by the previous experience drinking and driving. If getting arrested and spending time in jail isn't enough to make you more careful next time, then maybe crashing the car next time might be enough.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

It seems everyone I know from back home has received a DWI/DUI at some point in their life. When you grow up in a ski town and move from ski town to ski town, it's something I've learned A LOT of people have. Is that an excuse? Nah. I've had friends get hit by drunk drivers and be the ones hitting things while intoxicated.

I'm a big advocate against drunk driving but sometimes all the preaching you can do to a friend at the bar/club can't help. Hell, I've been punched in the face for taking a friend's keys one night.

Dick, you made a mistake, one you'll surely not make again. Don't beat yourself up over it. The best thing you can do is help others not make it.

As for me, if I know I'm going to have a few drinks, I'll try to catch the bus to town or just walk (15 mins at most). In the winter time I drive to the bars and don't drink at all. Maybe one beer over a four to five hour period. My job is horrendous in the winter when you're hungover and I hate wasting a day being hungover when I can be on the mountain.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are kidding, right? You KNOW you or a friend will have a close call?
    Good that it scares the shit out of you. How about you take steps to make sure you DO NOT have a close call. The life you save may be mine, or one of my loved ones. Or a friend.
    Or, hell, ANYONE.

I realize you cannot possibly have that cavalier an attitude about something so serious. Or be that stupid.

LISTEN TO ME CAREFULLY PEOPLE (AND YES I AM SHOUTING)

If you drink, don't drive. Then you don't have to worry. And I don't either.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Question for Dick: How did the arrest happen? Were you pulled over for erratic driving, or was there an accident, or did someone report you? Did you take a breathalyzer?

Doesn't matter, just wondering what happened.

5. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Dick, just be glad you got caught before something worse happened and then don't let it happen again.

As for members of MADD calling and harassing, I've never heard of that, but if you tell them to stop calling, then they have to stop. I would venture to guess most people who get these calls never really tell them to stop calling because they are too guilty about what they've done. If they continue to call, tell the police. It's not helping anyone for them to badger you.

The best advice certainly is not to drive after drinking at all. Don't try to guess that you're OK because you only one drink per hour or whatever. A lot of DUI accidents happen because people think they are OK. People react differently to alcohol and everyone seems to think they are OK.

An even better idea is not to drink at all. Then you don't have to worry about how to get home. You can have plenty of fun without alcohol. I realize 99 percent of people don't belive this, but try it anyway, it's true.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've had some of my best nights out sober. It is true.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

See, that last part is what scares me, and I'm sure it is what would concern Moddy and others as well. Most people don't realize when they are impaired. That's part of the problem. Once you are impaired, you are no longer capable of realizing it when you are not mentally and physically able to drive safely.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The DUI scares you, or killing another human scares you?

Somebody give M.A.D.D. this guy's number......

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You jumping to conclusions scares me.

I drove home after having two beers and got pulled over and was scared. I wasn't drunk. I wasn't buzzed, I wasn't tipsy or however you would classify it. However, it was still scary. I don't understand how that means I would "kill another human."

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

In some states, you'd probably be over the legal limit - just so you know.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, people who are impaired normally do not realize that they are impaired.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

what do you weigh, 450? Do you think you have to drink 8 beers to blow over?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.