1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DUI expose - by DUI suspect

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 6, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

From the already ethically questionable folks at the Santa Barbara News-Press:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/02/entertainment/la-et-onthemedia-20110702

I would have the same question: If this suspect really had the goods on this officer, why wouldn't the N-P assign an actual reporter to the story? I don't buy the pared-down newsroom staff argument either.

No word on whether any of this is true or not, but it'll be interesting to see it play out.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

From the story:

Is he fucking high? Good lord.

The whole thing sounds like an episode of Law and Order, not real life. It would also be argument #7,819,128 to me that all police cruisers should now have video tapes or cameras of some sort. They cost a couple hundred bucks each now, and if you're going to put laptops in every cruiser, you might as well put some cameras on the outside of the car too.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, if you can allow a freelancer to carry out his personal beef with a cop for pennies as opposed to assigning a staffer and maybe having to OK overtime, the choice is pretty easy, isn't it?

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As someone from the area and has heard about the stuff happening over there: Disgusted? Yes. Surprised? Not in the least.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I meant to post this the other day when I saw it.

The Santa Barbara News-Press is a joke. But even this should be beneath them.

Draft saved Draft deleted