1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dueling Star Ledger blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Because they're both jerks?

2. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Politi is probably a nice guy. He finds and tells a good story most of the time. I remember sitting a few rows back in a crowded, hot-as-hell high school gym in Linden when he was doing a story on Linden vs. St. Anthony. He knows Jersey basketball is hot, with RU and Hall out of recent tournaments.

But why is this necessary? Whose idea was this?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The latest STILL might be part of the schtick.

Certainly there's somebody from the Northeast somewhere that knows the real deal.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's Lenn Robbins with two n's.

I love Casty and agree with most everything he says. I'm on the other side here. Don't see the point of this. Don't think it is funny. That's OK. We're allowed to disagree and still be buds.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Moddy, it's more than OK to disagree. I wasn't crazy about the idea either but I didn't think it was the end of journalism as some here seem to think. They were trying to have fun. If it didn't work, okay, move on. It was an attempt. Do any of you remembrer Shana Alexander on 60 Minutes doing this type of thing?

Again, I may not be crazy about the idea but I don't think it deserves to be ripped so strongly.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

funny single reader comment after the last one...

COMMENTS (1)Post a comment
    Posted by RUHollywood on 08/30/07 at 5:49PM

Nobody cares about two local hack squabbling with each other. Shut up already and write something worthwhile.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wonder which SportsJournalists.commer posted that? Moddy maybe?

I agree it is a bit tired. Blog about something real and add a dash of shots at your colleague to spice it up.

You're just dumping the whole box of salt right in the soup.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think it would be better to take shots at the competition.

Then your crew of readership doesn't feel as conflicted.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Bosses likely wouldn't let you. Not "professional" or something. But at least it would be honest.

Phony colleague-ripping is almost as boring as labored self-deprecation.

10. Moderator1

I would have said STFU already. So it ain't me.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Moddy, just to explain one other thing. When I first started writing columns back in about 1970, I remember talking to two veteran columnists of some repute -- Joe Falls and Dave Klein -- and both said the same thing, don't ever be afraid of taking a chance and trying something different. I really believe that's what these guys did. They took a chance. Obviously, you and many others found it a waste of time. To that I say okay, let's forget it and try something different. That's all this old retired columnist is saying.

12. Moderator1

Cool beans. Heck, cool beans even if you think I'm full of it on this one.
    I, too, am all for trying new things.

Draft saved Draft deleted