1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dueling Star Ledger blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm not outraged, but I'm also not entertained. It felt forced and synthetic.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And I guess you've never before read anything forced. It happens. It was simply an attempt at somoe fun. If it didn't work for you, fine. It did work for others.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Didn't quite say that, now did I? We're expressing opinions, right? My opinion was it didn't work for me. If others were entertained, so be it. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. Or at least being that blatant about it (though if I could get away with subtle digs, then so much the better).

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Does that mean he is getting worse at it?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So the "facts" on the blogs are made up?

Ooh.

That is some territory I don't think papers want to be wading into.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's the problem: We DO recognize it for what it is. Wasn't mean enough to be real. Just jocularity. Boring. Waste of time. Not nearly entertaining enough to merit inclusion. You are not interesting characters. Not raconteurs, rapscallions, rascals or rounders. Write your sports blogs and cash the paychecks. Bill Simmons isn't quaking in his boots.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Yeah, I do feel dumb for falling for that, even for a moment.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Once again, some sour and dour SportsJournalists.com-ers -- most of whom are much younger than me, yet oddly more curmudgeonly -- get wound up about a mildly entertaining attempt at humor and see it as another step down the road toward The End of Journalism as We Know It.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying they're degenerative?

10. Joe Williams

Bingo!

Just weary of newspapers deciding, en masse, that they should have multiple blogs, that it somehow will capture readers who wouldn't otherwise look their way, that blogging = self-indulgent rambling and that their employees are inherently interesting. Newspapers straining so hard to transition to online come across, to me, like some 50-year-old woman wearing too much make-up, trying to squeeze into a too-short skirt. Embarrassing. Unsightly. Ridiculous.

Show some dignity. Do what you do best (report). Find the humor or entertainment in the folks you cover, if it's there. Don't jerk off at the keyboard trying to be Simmons or Dave Barry or Norman Chad or whomever. (Most of them aren't as funny as they think they are, anyway.) Spare us the hokey in-fighting and other crap that no one else laughs at quite as heartily as you no doubt laugh at yourselves. Anyway, it's all just a variation of "Jane, you ignorant slut!...". The "big league" version of Around The Horn sucks -- don't give us some Class AA version.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not boring at all.

12. Joe Williams

I take everything back that I posted earlier.
    I can see how those two guys can dislike each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted