1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dueling interesting covers in N.Y. and Boston

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jan 14, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Love the Post one.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

The Photoshop work isn't bad on the Post cover, but the arrangement of it all the pieces turns me off. It looks like intro design class at the end of the semester.

The feet one, while it didn't take a fraction of the skills, looks a lot cleaner.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

It's about time Boston-New York mixed it up in sports

5. I think the Boston on is classless.

The Post is pretty creative.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The feet thing is played out already. It's uncreative and easy.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

About what I'd expect for a struggling free daily nobody reads.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

If the Post cover looks too busy and like an intor to design class, then so does the iconic poster for Return of the Jedi. Post cover is awesome.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

The good: It's nice to see any newspaper today showing some spirit, gumption and/or a sense of humor.

The bad: The Post's cover, while designed well, uses a 30-year-old movie reference. It's hardly fresh or timely -- it looks dated and out of touch. Metro's cover looks like it was put together by a high school yearbook staff, and the concept is lowbrow and played out, and the headline is a cliche.

And these are "big-city" papers, folks.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Well, as has been stated, the Boston Metro is a struggling free paper. It's not your standard "big city" paper.

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I'll give you cliche, lowbrow, bad headline and all that; all I liked about it was it looked clean.

Star Wars, in my mind, is timeless. The pieces are there, but if you look at the poster they were working off of, one flows in layers. (http://www.star-wars-theme-site.com/image-files/return-of-the-jedi-poster.jpg) The Post looks whiffed on the last step. Or ran out of time ... and God knows I've been there.

I'd rather see Star Wars than Little Fockers. Bad example, though, that might have been funny.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Oh, I know exactly what Metro is. But Boston isn't exactly Podunk and accordingly should have smarter thinkers in the talent pool. The effort was weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted