1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dueling Henrik Lundqvist features: Times vs. Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ben Shpigel wrote a 3,800-word feature about New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist for last Sunday's New York Times. It ran as the sports centerpiece.

Brian Cazeneuve wrote a 3,100-word feature about New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist for this week's Sports Illustrated. It ran as the cover story.

I just finished Cazeneuve's feature. Both were very good. They were also somewhat different, though each had the same goal. I'll share my thoughts in a bit. I think this is an example of two features competing on an even field. What did you like and dislike about each, and who wrote it best?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Read the SI story. Good story but I am not sure if I would have termed Lundqvist the "King of NY" or "Toast of The Town".

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Haven't read either story. I will this weekend, since you posted.

Lundqvist had a great, great season. Combine the looks, the attention he got this season and how into the Rangers NY is right now, it's not a stretch at all to call him the Toast of the Town. He's riding pretty high right now.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Toast of the town" is a bit of an overstatement, if only because the town in question is New York City. Lundqvist takes a back seat to Derek Jeter, Eli Manning, Jeremy Lin, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Carmelo Anthony and Alex Rodriguez in terms of New York athlete-celebrity status. But Brian Cazeneuve does a good job backing up Lundqvist's hype with specific examples:

And, in addition, you could definitely argue that he's more universally liked than any of those other athletes.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, if no one else is going to chime in ...

I enjoyed both pieces a lot. I thought each fit its medium and purpose well. Shpigel went deeper, obviously. His piece was meant as a profile of Henrik Lundqvist, the man. Cazeneuve profiled Henrik Lundqvist, the goalie. I liked the inside-hockey analysis of Lundqvist's playing style and his rivalry with Brodeur a lot in Cazaneuve's story. Shpigel explained how he developed that style, though. And he explained his personality better.

I preferred Shpigel's story. But it wouldn't have fit in the context of Sports Illustrated.

6. Boom_70

I guess Lundqvist is not the toast of SportsJournalists.com.

7. Boom_70

So much for the "King of NY".

Draft saved Draft deleted