1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dueling druggies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Just found it kind of amusing that as I write this, there are three headlines on espn.com all having to do with three of the biggest sports figures alive being tied into illegal/illicit drug use:

A retest of Bonds sample again shows a positive
    Clemens DNA found in McNamee syringe
    South Carolina cops pondering pot charges against Phelps.

That's pretty much a trifecta isn't it?
  2. Yes.
    And it proves that "the war on (some people who take some) drugs" is a farce and waste of time and money.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Which will happen first:

-- Cubs win the World Series

-- New York state reforms Rockefeller drug laws
  4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

A helluva lotta more people are pissed off at Bonds and Clemens than Phelps, methinks. A 20-ish suburban white kid sucking out of a bong? C'mon people, if you went to your average college class, put truth syrum in the college and young adults there, and asked how many have done it, well, let's hope it's a Catholic school and there's a confession booth. Ask how many will do it again and it's likely to be pretty close again.

Clemens and Bonds get the ire because they cheated. They made the statistical standards in a sport where numbers mean everything completely meaningless. <<What's the home run record? You mean the legit one or the Roid one? Who knows?>>
  5. For me, numbers in baseball mean considerably less than how the sun feels on my face.
  6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You hit a walkoff grand slam with this one, Brian. The reason baseball fans, especially old-timers like me, get so much more bent out of shape about the roid cheats in baseball than in football or any other sport is that they render history meaningless, and in no other sport does history mean as much as in baseball. To me, the fact that a cheater like Bonds has supplanted Hank Aaron as the all-time home run king is offensive. But, more than that, it diminishes the past. Best example is the 15 years it took Jim Rice to get in the Hall of Fame. If you saw Rice in his prime, he was THE most feared hitter in the game and everything being equal he should have gotten in the HofF years ago. But you compare his stats to some of the roid boys of the modern era and he doesn't look so good. Same with Andre Dawson. As for Phelps, <<yawn>>. Gee, 23-year-old just-out-of-college kid smokes a little weed. Big f-ing deal. No comparison.
  7. clutchcargo

Scary to think what Rice would have done or looked like on 'roids. Glad he didn't do it.
  8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who fucking cares?
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's not just that they cheated, but in the court of public opinion (and possibly in the court of law), they lied about it. It's never the crime; it's the cover-up.

Phelps copped to his bong hit and will be forgiven. Giambi copped to juicing and was forgiven. Palmeiro got caught lying to Congress and is a pariah.
  10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Maybe he would have had more pent-up hostility, thanks to the chemicals. Maybe he would have been muscle-bound and not much of a fielder. Wait...
  11. clutchcargo

I missed it---is Raffy eligible for the Hall yet? I'm thinking he has another couple years to wait.

Does he get any votes?
  12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Can't really add much onto that. Pretty much my thoughts on everything.
Draft saved Draft deleted