1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duel in the sun.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This year marks the 40th anniversary of what many (me included) think is the best Open ever.

i never knew that the final round of this Open was held on Saturday, and this was Turnberry's first Open.

It was also Arnold Palmer's last Top 10 in a Major.

FWIW: If Watson wins here in 09, it's the greatest feat in sport. Period.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Some serious hyperbole here.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Someone has mentioned that before on this board, and it was probably Chef2. He's got a boner for Watson and that tournament. Its not in the top 100 of greatest feats of sport.

Think about every athletic event that has ever taken place. THAT is the greatest.

Okay.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh noes! Somebody has a contradictory sports opinion on the internet!

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Definitely the greatest feat by an old white dude who's probably not sweating.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Chef's drunk again.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If he had just used the word golf instead of sports, Chef would have a case worthy of debate, although I'd disagree.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

aw: i'm being ridiculed, and for good reason.
    i was posting from my i phone.....i honestly thought i typed in "the sport"

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's nothing worse than when the words in your head are not the words in your fingers. I've been there many times. Seriously, however, even had Watson won, I'd still pick Tiger at Pebble in the 2000 Open for one tournament accomplishment. To win by 15 strokes, to be 12-under when no one else could break par? I was there, and it was hard to believe even as I watched it happen and after it happened.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Better count your toes.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

touché

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Hot Take: Almost a decade later, it's almost as if Watson won at Turnberry in 2009. No one remember anything about it other than Tom Watson almost won a major at age 59. And because his legacy was so cemented, the bogey on 18 doesn't even make the first five paragraphs of his obit. I guess the lesson is if you're going to lose a major that way, be a decade into your senior tour career and already have eight majors in the bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted