1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dude who caught Bonds home run

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IBIS, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

What's so SORRY is that a Dude from NY goes to Cali and TAKES the ball.

I always thought Cali was weak.

2. Pi

Pi Member

There's an AP story saying he might have to pay income tax on it, even if he doesn't sell it. Something about because it is worth a half-million, then the IRS wants to tax him like he now has a half-million dollar asset.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That reminds me of an episode of Saved By The Bell when Jesse's step-brother Eric moved in with the Spano clan in Bayside, Calif. Eric takes over Jesse's room, complete with a Dwight Gooden poster, I believe, and he watched the Mets-Dodgers game in Belding's office during school. Coincidentally, it's the same game that Zack skipped school to attend -- silly Yom Kippur excuse (he's not even Jewish, that sly dog). Well, wouldn't you know that Zack caught the foul ball off Darryl Strawberry's bat, and Eric and Screech saw it. But, nothing bad could have happened because it was Eric's word against Zack's, right? Wrong. Eric taped the game and blackmailed Zack for the foul ball and his locker.

The moral of the story: New Yorkers always beat Californians.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Nice story in the DN about the Queens dude who caught the ball. Maybe it will halt Chriss Russo's psycho rants.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/08/09/2007-08-09_hes_having_a_ball-4.html

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

So much for not wanting to deal with the media.

Remember: EVERYONE wants his 15 minutes of fame. Everyone.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happened around the ball when Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record?

Please tell me it was more civil.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think Tom House caught it in the bullpen and gave it to Aaron, who said "Thanks, kid."

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My selling price would be the actual price, and whatever tax it incurs.

So if I sold it for $500K, I'd tell whoever bought it that they also had to pay the tax on the $500K.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You know what I'd do if I had a million dollars, man?

I'd buy that ball and destroy it.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

So if anything substantial comes outta this George Mitchell investigation, oh, say, hardcore proof the Bonds is juiced, don't ya'll think the value of the ball either skyrockets or it shows up in a bin at the Goodwill?

11. boots

boots New Member

That is correct, House did catch the ball. There were many who wanted the ball, including Sammy Davis, Jr. House often speaks about giving the ball to Aaron. He said it was the right thing to do.
    As for the kid who caught Bonds' ball, he only plans on keeping 51 percent of the profit should he sell it. The guy who went to the game with him will get 49 percent.
    Also, I understand NY State is trying to figure out a way to tax the kid BEFORE the ball is sold.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Now the kid is saying he might not sell the ball and hold onto it for sentimental value.

Draft saved Draft deleted