1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ducks' football program getting ready to get porked?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Dec 20, 2012.

1. turski7

turski7 Member

Must have watched a lot of tape on Pete Carroll.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Awesome.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

On one hand, the NCAA wants to show it has teeth and making an example of Oregon would help the cause. On the other hand, the NCAA doesn't want to lose merchandise sales and you know Uncle Phil loves pushing along some big O logo gear.

This will be interesting.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the thread title end in plucked, not porked?
    I've long figured Kelly would stay at Oregon until he satisfied his ego by winning the national title. I thought that was why he backed away from the NFL after taking the job, to settle unfinished business at Oregon.
    On the other hand, I can see why Kelly would leave for the NFL. With the heat from the NCAA being turned up, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kelly pulls a Pete Carroll and jumps to the NFL ASAP.
    Also, I saw a link to an interesting story about Kelly's relationship with donors not named Phil Knight. Apparently he isn't just a dick to local media.
    http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-20040-chip_kelly%E2%80%99s_secret_offense.html

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Interesting read.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned every time Cal and LSU's relationship with Lyles is brought up as a straw man in this case, those schools A, did not pay Lyles $25K for his services, and B, showed the NCAA legitimate paper/video recruiting information Lyles suppied in return for his payment. Oregon paid him $25 K (that we know of) and received nothing in return for nearly a year, and then was hastily sent reams of bogus info, which included a scouting report on a deceased player, once Yahoo began its investigation of the arrangement.

The university has already spent nearly $150K on lawyers trying to negotiate a summary disposition to avoid an appearance before the Committee on Infractions, a strategy that apparently failed when the NCAA refused because Oregon's suggestions for its self-imposed penalties were deemed insufficient. Loss of scholarships, limits on recruiting, and at least a one-year bowl ban seem to be the leaders in the clubhouse as far as punishment. What's interesting is Kelly cannot be compelled to testify before the COI if he is in the NFL and therefore no longer a university employee.

It is against NCAA rules for a university to pay a third party to influence a student-athlete to attend its school.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted