1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ducks' football program getting ready to get porked?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

We only can hope:

"Oregon is likely headed toward a hearing with the NCAA committee on infractions after it could not resolve an investigation of the football coaching staff's use of a scouting service ... "

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Oregon-football-headed-for-NCAA-hearing-4133513.php

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: Ducks football program getting ready to get porked?

They spent a lot of money on lawyers to try and nip this in the bud - if it didn't work I'm expecting a bowl ban for at least a year. I figure Oregon would agree to anything that wouldn't actually sting the program like a probation with no scholarship hit or minor recruiting penalties like coaches not being allowed to contact recruits etc.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i think it's going to make an example of the oregon/hired guns situation. i think oregon loses multiple years and scholarships.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chipper is so gone anyway. Eagles?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They can keep their scholarships and play in bowls, just limit them to one home and one away uniform for a season.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And their coach, perhaps to the Panthers.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the popular opinion... I think the only thing that would be in the way of that happening would be if the Eagles decided they wanted Gruden and Gruden wanted to come back.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Well put.

Seriously, I think the Ducks are in serious hot water. The payments to that "scouting service" just reek.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good god, man, show some compassion. That would kill em.

Gotta say I still remain skeptical that the NCAA will hammer Team Nike. They'll get something, but I doubt it'll be anything crippling.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think the NCAA has been wanting a reason to hammer Team Nike for several years now. I won't be shedding a tear for them.

Used to be a team went on probation and it usually included a ban on TV appearance. I guess the TV money got to be too large for that to happen, which is another indication of the sad state of college sports today.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Didn't LSU pay Willie Lyles as well?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. Cal too.

Draft saved Draft deleted