1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ducks' Dixon officially done for year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Nov 16, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Auburn loss: Tebow stunk up the joint. Defense gave up 20.
    Georgia loss: Tebow stunk up the joint, even on a night he could have run up stats because the Gators trailed much of the way.

Look, if you're looking for lots of meaningless touchdowns hung on Vandy and South Carolina, Tebow's your guy. If you think him bulling his way in from a yard or two out is a big deal, then he's your guy.

But that team has lost three games. That's underachieving at Florida.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

As mentioned in the other thread,

Number of intact ACLs John Elway played with his entire pro career: One.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

You do realize the guy is number two in passing efficiency, right? He's been brilliant - the UGA game he shouldn't have been playing with a bad shoulder and he still got them back into the lead before the defense choked it. Unless you think he should have gone out there and tackled Knowshown Moreno there's no way you can put that loss on him.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Great. Garrison Hearst had a torn ACL he was able to play on too as I recall. One or two flukes don't make what they did here right. I saw Colorado put John Hessler out on the field in the same situation, and Kansas nearly killed the kid. Sometimes coaches have to say no even when a guy really wants to do something - it's called being responsible for the long term.

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Why does current matter? If matters more where the team was ranked when they played. By that logic:

Games played against ranked teams:
    Oregon 2-1 (wins USC, ASU; loss Cal)
    Florida 2-2 (beat Tenn, Kentucky; lost to LSU georgia)

As for 'stunk up the joint' ... 20-27 for 201 1/1 ... 75 yds rush 1 TD ... i suppose we have different definitions of the phrase. I wasn't sold on Tebow until recently, when he was impressive during that three game stretch. Even though they went 1-2, the losses (if you saw the games) were not his fault. Terrible D. Happens when your entire secondary (?) graduates.

Ask Michigan.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tebow has been the best college player I have seen this year. They better give him the Heisman, now, too, because the way he plays, he'll be in the Wile E. Coyote full-body cast with eyeholes by senior year.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

New Heisman Top 5

Tebow
    McFadden
    White
    Daniel
    Reesing

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good to know I'm not the only one here with this view.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

What long term? Dixon's draft position?

So the responsible thing is to give up Dixon's shot at the Heisman and give up the team's shot at its first-ever national championship to protect Dixon's draft status? And he should do that against the wishes of Dixon and his family? Really?

10. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

As in Pat White? I have trouble with the WVU combo. Love to watch both of them, but in his road test against South Florida, he got hurt. Then Slaton was the guy who killed Rutgers. White was good against Louisville.

My 'ballot':
    Tebow
    Dixon
    McFadden

Still think McFadden can leapfrog Dixon with a win over LSU. Hell, if Tebow stinks up the joint and McFadden finishes strong, D-Mac could win it. Big 12 kids will decide their fate in the coming weeks

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

As long as the Dixons had all the medical information possible ... and as long as everyone agrees he gets pulled at the first sign of trouble ... give the kid a shot, if that's the family's wishes.

And make damn sure Leaf knows he's probably playing the bulk of the game.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Player does not call the shots.

Neither does the family.

If the coach made the decision solely because Dixon wanted to play, it's foolhardy. Maybe if the backup had been running the first team the past two weeks, he may have been better prepared to enter that game and not lay an egg. Wait, I forgot it's a Leaf we're talking about. He probably would've screwed up, anyway.

I'm also wondering how Vegas feels about the fact that this kid's injury was not reported. Anyone with some insider information could've made a boatload on the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted