1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ducks' Dixon officially done for year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

So Tebow's a better choice on the strength of three games?

Have you seen Dixon play at all? Certainly the Pac-10 is not the SEC, but it's better than most conferences this year.

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Yes, i've seen a fair amount of each player. Tebow perhaps more.

Tebow, a sophomore, went on the road for three consecutive games against ranked teams. He led the offense to 24, 45 and 30 points.

Dixon, a senior, has not faced a ranked team on the road. In fact, he did not face a team with a winning record on the road this season. Dixon and Oregon are a product of a favorable schedule and catching Michigan at a time of the program's nadir.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Huh?

The Ducks had no shot without Dixon. They lost the game because he went out, not because he started the game.

The best team was with Dixon on the field. Hell, it may still be with Dixon, hopping around on one leg.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Ducks did have a favorable schedule in that their toughest games were at home. To suggest Dixon is a product of that schedule is laughable. He played in three road games and they scored 39, 55, and 55. I think he can handle the road just fine.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

24 against LSU. OK, not bad. Not exactly Heisman material, but whatever.
    45 against Kentucky. The next stop the Wildcats make will pretty much be their first.
    30 against Georgia. Weren't they behind big pretty much the whole way? And Tebow's stats? 14-for-22 for 236 yards and 1 TD passing. And 13 carries for -15 yards. But he scores 2 TDs on the ground in the process of going for -15.

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Dixon is a nice player, and certainly a Top 3 Heisman finisher. I just think his stats and value have gone through the roof against incredibly inferior competition.

Road games:
    aforementioned Michigan (rebuilding defense that lost a ton to the pros, just got worked at home by App St)
    Stanford (Oregon trailed at the half; the Cardinal have had the worst defense or second words in the pac 10 all season)
    Washington (the only defense worse than Stanford's in the Pac-10)

Dixon's a great story with the baseball and the lofty record and nice stats (mostly at home) ... and this is all subjective ... but i just don't see how Dixon can win this award over Tebow. If you say he only had one loss ... then why not factor in Brennan and the kid at Kansas, both of whom have zero losses?

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Because we are now able to specifically pin a value to Dixon. He makes a pedestrian team exceptional.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My own personal opinion: There's about a hundred QBs that could have taken that Florida team and lost three games with it. Tebow's got lots of pretty stats, which have been run up in what can only be considered a pretty disappointing season for his team. Many of them being runs that could have easily been made by the FB or RB.

And there's no bigger SEC fanboy here than me, but you've got to be kidding if you think Oregon's opponenets have been "incredibly inferior".

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

And what if we can't take away McFadden or Tebow? Then what? No value so no Heisman?

And sorry, MB, but I'll go ahead and disagree with the use of 'exceptional.' The Ducks lost at home to a Cal team that is now out of the Top 25. Ditto for the Gators (Auburn).

10. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

You seem to somehow think Tebow lost these games for the Gators. When your defense can't stop anyone ... you're not going to run the table. When you have to go on the road for three straight against ranked teams ... you're going to lose some games.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Florida's wins over current top-25 teams:
    Tennessee (19)
    Kentucky (22)

Oregon's wins over current top-25 teams:
    Southern Cal (11)
    Arizona State (9)

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

It was completely irresponsible of them to allow the kid to play. As someone who's torn an ACL myself in the past, I can tell you that you have absolutely no idea when it will go out on you when you're just walking around. To put him out there on the football field was to guaruntee this would be the way it ended. I hope for the kid's sake he didn't do more damage to any other parts of the knee.

Draft saved Draft deleted