1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ducks' Dixon officially done for year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Nov 16, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Anyone shocked? As was clear to a bunch of us, he's got a torn ACL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3115013

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Mentioned on the other thread, but the ACL was apparently toast in the Arizona State game. He tried to play through it against Arizona.

Give that kid the Heisman.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm curious whose idea it was for Dixon to play against Arizona. I understand wanting to play in a big game, but your knee doesn't heal up in 12 days after a bad injury such as that.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's is certain a "WTF Mike Belloti" type of question that I hope was asked today. Kids don't come back from ACL tears in 12 weeks, let alone 12 days.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I've got no problem with Bellotti here. It sounds like everyone agreed that they'd pull the plug at the first sign of trouble.

No, it couldn't heal in that time, but as has been mentioned in the other thread, playing without an ACL isn't unprecedented. As long as Dixon was made WELL aware of the risk, let him play.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thank you, Mustard, for digging up the quote.

Even if Dixon begged to play, Bellotti gets a nice heaping of responsibility here. He is the coach. He is paid to make tough decisions. From afar, sounds like he handed this one over to the player without making a tough call. It's a BS move that ignores the rest of the locker room.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Oh, it's a hell of a tough call. And you make it knowing that if the kid wrecks his knee in the process you'll be skewered.

At some point, though, you've got to be willing to let a senior (and his family) make an informed decision as to what they want to do. The only way I'd fault Bellotti is if there was any information, whatsoever, that the family didn't have in making the decision to give it a go.

Personally, I think he shouldn't have been allowed to play. If I were the coach, I hope I'd be strong enough to sit him down. At the same time, I can understand bracing it up and giving it a go.

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

For trying to play on a busted ACL? Tebow's been the most outstanding player in college football this year, IMO. Was dubious for the first six weeks, but have really come around on him since the three strong performances on the road against LSU, Kentucky and Georgia.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Give it to him because with him, they were the No. 2 team in the nation. And without him, they couldn't beat a 4-6 Arizona team.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Loss, Win, Loss

And Tebow, for all his alleged greatness, has led his team to what looks like will be a third place finish ... in the SEC East. He's looked great against Vandy and South Carolina, though. I'm sure Meyer will leave him in most of the game against Florida Whateverthefuck this week so he can put up some more pretty numbers.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm torn on it. I think Bellotti has a responsibility to everyone involved with the program to send the best team out on the field each week. If he played Dixon just because Dixon wanted to play, it's irresponsible.

Draft saved Draft deleted