1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ducking for cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

There are some decent jobs out there, and I wouldn't mind applying for a couple. However, I'm fairly safe at my current job.
    There isn't much fear of a layoff or anything like that, and we haven't had paycuts or furloughs.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else is risking the safety of a current job for riskier, yet greener pastures? Do you all think it's even worth the risk, or just duck for cover and wait out the economy a bit longer?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is the risk that you are worried about? That you get a new job and it goes away? That's legit, depending on the circumstances.

That your bosses find out your are looking? If you work at a newspaper and aren't looking, you'd be a fool.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

The biggest worry is dropping back down to lowest man on the seniority ladder.
    I wouldn't mind a new job with more money. But a year from now, my current gig is much better than no gig.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm in the same situation right now. I have to move to a different paper if I want to move up, since I'm the low man on the totem pole and I don't see anyone else leaving.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I just made that move a few months ago, Riddick... Concern over job security led me to leave an SE position where I was pretty dang popular and had just gotten a great review..for a higher-paying, lower-totem-pole job that went bust after not even three months.

And my concerns over job security proved to be unfounded, because they replaced me.

Luckily, I was able to find another SE gig.

My advice would be to wait it out. The economy is starting to rebound.. our industry is the last to see it, but it's coming. Hold on a bit longer.

Sometimes, the grass isn't really greener. It's just painted green to cover up the brown.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seniority doesn't mean squat as far as the chopping block is concerned.

But moving from a newspaper gig to a newspaper gig is going to be a risk any way you cut it.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Moving for other reasons, but yes, that is a risk I'm currently seeking. My current paper has been a great place to work, and I wouldn't leave if outside situations were different...on the other hand our paper has been on furloughs since May, so maybe not as much risk as others.

8. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

Riddick, I agree with what Ace wrote. Risk is relative and you have to weigh your own variables to determine the risk. It's different with each opportunity. Apply for the most attractive openings. You don't have to take an offer if it doesn't meet your criteria.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you have a good job, the onus is on the paper you're interviewing at to sell their shop as much as you are trying to sell yourself to them. Sometimes the job might be better or it could be worse, but you won't know unless you ask.

An offer might be more at a new place if you already have a job. I expect that I get my moving expenses paid for and paid a certain amount. If they can't offer that, well, it's time to talk to someone else.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

As far as seniority goes, I've seen it go both ways. I've seen papers cut the most senior people because they were the most expensive, and I've seen papers cut the newest people because they were the newest.
    I love my job even though it would be nice to have more pay, less hours and more of a staff on the editorial side besides me and two unpaid interns. And the ability to actually finally take a vacation (EGAD!) would be nice. But I'm hoping we can grow this startup and get more staff to take care of most of those issues. If time opens up, maybe I could resume freelancing on the side for the pay issue. But like Ace said, anyone not keeping tabs on what's out there is a fool. You never know when you come in and discover you're needing a job. For the same reason, I keep tabs on cars and cameras for sale. You never expect to crash or to have a shutter blow, but those things do happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted