1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duck Storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

An interesting perspective from someone else with a beard: http://observer.com/2013/12/rabbi-shmuley-on-duck-dynasty-and-biblical-homophobia/

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The best part of that is the rabbi saying Robertson probably isn't a good lover.

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

GLAAD immediately went on the attack. What A&E did was what most companies are conditioned to do these days when GLAAD comes knocking at the door. But this wasn't an act of discrimination and A&E did what it needed to by simply stating it did not share the views of Phil. So they danced around it once they saw it was a bad business decision. I'm wondering how awkward this dance is going to be regarding their tolerance campaign they've promised - tolerant of what, the people Robertson was critical of, the people who think like Phil, or both? And will matter to the pro-Phil viewer as long as they're getting his wife's squirrel stew preparation or Si's si-cology?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Holding a conference call and then issuing a statement is "going on the attack?"

5. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I thought we were talking about the immediate response versus holding your tongue and letting the dust settle. My point was GLAAD typically jumps right on something. That's all.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't it?

Companies know that's step one, and if they don't back down, there will be additional steps.

It's no different that what the NRA does in that regard.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At this point I honestly think that A & E was more than happy to blow the story
    up given the timing. It's telltail that they were running marathon sessions of
    DD during heat of protest and during peak Christmas Shopping season.

The folks at A&E / Disney are no dummies and certainly understand demographics.
    Clearly they understood that the DD audience would not be lost and that a new
    audience would be gained.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Robertson clan has added a line of guns to the merchandise sales.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/the-duck-dynasty-diversifies/?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

Check out the linked ad

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's quite clear that GLAAD takes its cue from the gun lobby on how to operate in these situations. That's not a criticism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/business/media/banished-for-questioning-the-gospel-of-guns.html?hp&_r=0

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

My elaboration has already been assisted, so I won't repeat what's been said relative to the NRA.

Draft saved Draft deleted