1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duck Storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did not see a thread on this etc, etc.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/duck-dynastys-phil-robertson-indefinite-666808

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus," Robertson says in the January issue of the men's magazine. "That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My Facebook feed is in semi-blowup mode re: this. Ugh.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't believe this is such a shitstorm. Because he said a vagina is more appealing than an anus?

I know he had the quote about bestiality, as well, but he grouped it in with sexual promiscuity in general, including with the opposite sex.

There are few bigger advocates for gay rights than I am, but this is an overreaction. I'm reminded of the time when Rob Portman came out in favor of gay marriage - and was subsequently barbequed for it.

There has to be some margin for error as people come around on this.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another case of a bigot hiding behind the Bible.

Next.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd guess that a large portion of those who are suddenly OUTRAGED!!! by this are also people who already knew the Robertson family were Bible thumpers. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

6. Dick Whitman

You don't think the Bible is sincerely the source of their objections?

I do, in a lot of these cases.

I think it's silly, and I don't credit it as a legitimate objection, but I think that is where they earnestly derive their belief.

7. Boom_70

Have to think that it will help the show ratings and no doubt factored in to
    A&E's decision.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. While I've never watched the show, from what I've heard about this family, this is not shocking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Boom_70

I wonder if Phyl liked Deliverance.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Help the ratings?

If anything, I figured this would turn people off entirely. I just don't get why he has to say anything. You have a gold mine that continues to rake it in and you risk it by opening your mouth. When will people learn?

12. Dick Whitman

Don't we criticize athletes for not taking a stand on issues?

Draft saved Draft deleted