1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dubow got $32M severance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swamp trash, Mar 20, 2012.

1. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/03/19/446914/gannett-layoffs-dubow-severance/?mobile=nc

The question, as former reporter Peter Lewis asked at the time, is how exactly Dubow served consumers or his employees. “They laid off journalists. They cut the pay of those who remained, while demanding that they work longer hours. They closed news bureaus. They slashed newsroom budgets,” Lewis wrote on his blog. “As revenue fell, and stock prices tanked, and product quality deteriorated, they rewarded themselves huge pay raises and bonuses.”

God, that just says it all.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

huh, i guess i've been doing things the wrong way all these years

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why you have to wonder why they hired Dubow's no. 2 as CEO.
    I think Martore has done a decent job bringing in some new folks, I just wonder if it will be enough.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Unbelievably disgusting. Dubow gets a king's ransom for doing a terrible job.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Our society is ruled by and hence rewards sociopathic incompetents. It's the American Way.

6. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

This is the best argument for class warfare I've ever heard.

Eat the rich.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He is the One Percent.

And he's also my response to whenever anyone brings up class warfare. Think of how many employees could have still been working for that $32 million, not to mention the millions that he "earned" during his time as CEO.

And, yeah, I know, the critics will say that money wouldn't have gone to the employees. Bullshit. It's compensation that was awarded to an employee. It could just as easily, at $50 grand a year in compensation (salary and bennies), gone towards keeping 640 people employed another year. 640 people who could have contributed even more to the American economy.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The 1 percent have been waging unrestricted class warfare on the rest of us for quite a long time and they are winning. They are crushing us.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The sad thing is - the money came BECAUSE of the job cuts, not in spite of the job cuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted