1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dubai bans Israeli tennis player from country and tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2009.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Dubai bans Israeli tennis player from country and tournement

You can't separate Israel from the Jewish people, although that is what many people are trying to do.
    Israel is a Jewish state more than Britian is a Protestant State where the head of government is also the head of the state church.

2. heyabbott

The world's No. 1 female player, Serena Williams of the United States, a member of the WTA's players committee, said there had been no talk of a boycott in Dubai, but the group was taking Peer's absence "very seriously." http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3912927

Althea Gibson would be proud of you Serena

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Arabs buy sneakers too.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Haha wow. My posting history? Please show me any evidence that shows I'm anti-semitic. No see the real reason why you think that I would feel differently isn't because of my "posting history". Its because I'm Muslim, so some how Allah is sending "Hate Jews" messages into my brain.
    And for the record, no I definitely wouldn't feel differently. But I still would let her compete.

Sorry yab, yes I can. Especially when there are a great number of Jews(especially here in the US) who are against their actions.

5. heyabbott

Nike, the official sneaker of suicide bombers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You stay classy, yab.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet he does.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Amazing how consistently wrong you can be. First of all, Chuck, I didn't know that you were a Muslim. Secondly, I never said you were anti-semitic. Please try to be more accurate and precise in the future.

You do, however, have a history of anti-Israeli posting, among other things.

9. outofplace

He isn't just discussing this with one poster, unless you are suggesting I have that same kind of history.

10. outofplace

I was just ignoring heyabbott. Honestly, who doesn't know where he is coming from on this type of thing?

Sorry if I questioned the direction of your post. Sometimes people surprise me here, so I try not to assume too much.

I was debating with Chuck because I disagree with Chuck, and I felt his history belonged in the discussion.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Weren't South African athletes banned from competing in the Olympics and other competions because of their apartheid policies in the 1980s? I seem to recall there being some controversy about some South African athletes like Zola Budd trying to backdoor their way around the ban by obtaining quickie alternative passports.

Isn't that, at least arguably, analogous to this situation? The IOC didn't ban SA athletes because of race or religion, but instead to protest their govt's policies, and I'm sure that decision was lauded by the international community instead of condemned. If Dubai were to claim that this is in objection to the Israeli govt's policies toward Gaza and the palestinian people, how would it be so different? Just wondering what the flaws in that analogy would be.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow.

Guess Venus hasn't gotten a good n-word treatment in a while.

Inexcusable attitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted