1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dubai bans Israeli tennis player from country and tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2009.

1. It was earlier last week.
    My bad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/16/sports/tennis/16araton.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wrote the CEO of Barclays -- title sponsor of the event -- letting him know that I thought he should pull his company's name off the event.

He finally responded this morning:

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Right. And yet the Barclays web site for the tournament makes zero mention of Peer, or Roddick's boycott, in its news stories. In fact, some of the releases have Roddick skipping the tournament because of injury.
    And I call BS on Mr. Varley's contention that the tournament has nothing to do with the government. Most every news release from the tournament ends with this:

Play at the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships, which is held under the patronage of H.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai ...

Yankeefan, in searching for answers, you did more than most tennis fans and players. Good for you.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well, they've been apolitical through the years all right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/237392.stm

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yeah, that was pretty cool. Talk about a lame-ass response from the Barclays guy. And where was the UAE's "commitment" to players being able to compete in tourneys for which they've qualified when Shahar Peer came along?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I used to be in charge of sports marketing at a major corporation.

I told him that if I was the title sponsor of this event I would personally pull down every sign I had up at the site.

I mentioned to him that the Tennis Channel had cancelled their coverage and asked him what he was going to do.

I'm disappointed in his response. He had a real chance to make a stand and I imagine he made a business decision that it wasn't worth it. A shame.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

I didn't know Roddick boycotted the Dubai tournament.

Which other players boycotted?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No one else's agent was intelligent or persuasive enough.

9. How hard can it be?
    "Dude, skip this one. I just lined up a $500K corporate exo in Hilton Head anyway."

Draft saved Draft deleted