1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DTI layout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SlickWillie71, Aug 10, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

We're on DT 5.5. The upgrade from 5.4 caused a week or two of chaos, which seems to be par for the course. I wasn't around for the upgrade from 4.3 to 5.4, but those who were speak of it only in hushed tones. Hushed, profane tones.

That seems to be fairly common for upgrades. The annoying thing is they seem to have a habit of making minor tweaks that seem to serve no purpose except irritating those who have to use it. Case in point: In the page plan for 5.4, you could double-click on a page to open it in InDesign. In 5.5, you have to triple-click it. Double-clicking opens the story that you happen to have the mouse over, in InCopy. So you can't just click on the page to open it anymore, unless you grab the very top of it. It's a minor irritant, really, and we got used to it, but it just seems so unnecessary. We even had DTI reps come visit, and when we pointed this out, they insisted it was better.

I do agree, though, that once you use it for a while, it is quite useful. I'm not sure pairing it with InDesign is the best use of it, but that's what we do.

2. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Gotta give props to DTI. No complaints here. Love it, actually.

Draft saved Draft deleted